Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Racing Tragedy Raises Questions About Racing on Federal Property

Re: Desert Racing Tragedy Raises Questions About Racing on Federal Property

It would be interesting to know how the citizens define "federal" land.
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

why do the feds own the entire wild west ? what's the point ?

sell it to ME !!!

Comment

ya, YOU knew this was coming..
        how about ..it's fed.land that means the legals in the U.S. of A own it..
        and should be alowed to use it...if the permit is issued.. and there is no reason why they shouldn't issue one... for racing

how about placing the blame on the dead.. and hurt.. the ones that , HAVE or HAD no common sense.. that a 3400lb truck at speeds over 100mph on sand and dirt doing over hills and jumps may not stay striaght. and when it lands may move to the left or right..

and move on...
        Iet this be a lesson to people that.. if your gonna put yourself in harms way.. you don't get to sue. and you deal with the outcome, and any issue that come with it..

this is so much different than.. say a parade, and a car runs into the crowd..
        this is a race with truck,buggies/etc runing as fast as they can on gravel.. and going airbourn..
        anyone that was there and didn't know ,the dangers.. should only have been kids.. and they have adults that SHOULD with them..
        sorry even after 10 wobbley pops.. the danger is still known.. as not everyone in the crown is sloshed..

sadly. this will end these race and others like it...
        and I gotta ask....

WHO OWNS THE SALTS
        cause this can affect that racing also.. with the outcome of this ..
        flame suit on.. GO!!

Comment

No flame suit neccesary.

The individuals hurt/killed as well as the promoters and drivers are all at fault, here in the U.S., with the promotors or whoever has money in their pockets being first in line. In off-road racing attitudes tend to come from the culture of Baja where spectators (often locals with the "Running of the Bulls" mentality) may actually try to touch cars flying by at 100+ (and nobody in Mexico cares what happens) but as soon as you cross the border this direction it becomes someone else's job to inform stupid people that they are being stupid and if you didn't do that and also physically prevent them from their stupidness then it's your fault. The dumbasses aren't to blame, just dead. They won't ask for money afterward but the wifey will.

Federal land, btw, is such because taxes on any private owner would exceed what could reasonably be extracted from non-income-producing land and somebody has to have title. So the feds own it. No they don't pay tax.

Will these problems affect Bonneville? Maybe, if LSR cars were lots of fun for spectators to stand next to while at speed and that became a problem.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to side with Natural Selection on this one:

If you are willing to stand next to a 4600 lb. vehicle as it travels at over 100mph, you deserve whatever outcome you recieve.

Why is this such a hard thing to understand in the United States??!

Any other country, the "Rule of Tonnage" works just fine-if it outweighs you, GTFO of it's way. You don't stand in the way of a charging rhino, do ya? NO. You don't play human Frogger on I-5, do ya? NO. So, why do you stand twenty feet from the sidelines of a major race on unpredictable terrain waiting for the giant truck to run you over?!

Am I being calloused to the families of the victims of this accident? F&*k yes. Do I understand the appeal of being close to the race cars? Yes, I do, but I like life. I'm honestly amazed more incidents like this have not happened...there's a lot of rally vids from Europe that show what happen in similar situations. The ONLY people who need to be that freakin' close are the racers themselves and track officials. THAT'S IT! Anything past that and you are taking your life into your own hands.

[/rant]
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Preaching to the choir, here.
              If numbnuts want to stand next to a racecourse drinking beer and flirting with death, don't be surprised if death says, "Yes, I believe I'll have some of that!".
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
              X