Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR Makes Big Cuts to Purse Structure, May Limit Cup Drivers

Re: NASCAR Makes Big Cuts to Purse Structure, May Limit Cup Drivers

will not limit cup drivers as the only ones there are the bigger teams..
    might limit the amount of races they run.
    but as seen as the big guns fill the seats, .. doubtfull..
    they may only run the week end races. i.e. the races at the same track as the sprint cup race that same w end..
    the teams already have the cars/the parts/and the crew..
    it's only travel/gas/and tires..
    not much in the way of things.. to add 40k to the book..

Comment

I agree a little variety would help the support series. Imagine it was baseball. How much sense would it make to have your AAA farm club play in the same stadium on the same day with a team made up of many the same players as your Major League team? Not much...

Comment

I have said for a long time that Cup drivers should not be allowed to compete in the Nationwide series. The analogy with baseball is a good one. If Cup drivers can drive in the lower series it limits the amount of experience non-Cup drivers can get. I like the idea of the Nationwide series being completely independent from the Cup series. I think some of the smaller tracks that NASCAR has abandoned would be ideal for the Nationwide series. Think of Rockingham and North Wilksboro, to name a couple. But then this is NASCAR and common sense is not always their forte.

Comment

They should limit the cup guys in terms of points when running in Nationwide. Let em' have the purse, but don't screw up the points for the regular Nationwide guys. Just my opinion. I do like the idea of Nationwide running Rockingham and North Wilksboro as well as a few of the other places too.

Comment

why not do away with nationwide ? or make it a short track touring pro series
            it is pathetic how empty the stands are

Comment

Here's my recipe: Kill off Nationwide and give the Whelen Modifieds a little more exposure. Run the shows like a Saturday night short track deal: hot laps, heat races, consi's, and the feature show. Make it for all three classes (Modifieds, Trucks, and Cars), and the whole show scheduled to run not more than four hours. It's doable.

All those teams wouldn't have room to park in the infield at a lot of tracks, and the pits would be packed. The idea would be to run each session on one set of tires, none of this having the whole field pit during the race. You come in, you're out. The smaller tracks like Bristol and Martinsville would see teams parking outside the track, next to the entry to the infield. The cars would have to be lined up, ready to roll onto the track as soon as possible after the previous class finishes it's session. Larger tracks like Pocono and Talledega would have enough room for everybody to park the hauler inside.

Random draw for starting positions in the heats. As the season moves along, the guys with higher points would be handicapped to help level the field so there's no runaway champion. The guys that are real good would move up through the field anyway.

If NASCAR wants to continue competing for TV ratings, they need to learn to make it a show. Its about the show, stupid. ;D Things could get real interesting to watch if drivers would jump from one class to the next; i.e., get out of the Modified after the heat, and jump right in a truck and run a heat, then jump into a car and run a heat. Are these guys atheletes or not?

It couldn't get too goofy, like WWF or something, but a little bit of showmanship and a dose of pure luck would make things very entertaining to watch. After all, real racing is only fun for the participants-- spectating is boring.

Switching things up in the format from week to week would help hold people's attention, and show what draws the most interest. They could run my one-day format one week at a short track, and make a weekend long event like they do now at a Superspeedway the following week. Time would tell what people want to see. People are just bored with NASCAR the way it is now. The only way to recapture America's attention is to do something like I'm suggesting here, or figure out a way to make fans proud of their local racing team.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

^^^^^^^ I'd buy a ticket!

That's a neat plan Gene. I think there will be another ice age before they implement the idea, but damn, that would be fun viewing.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I like the idea Motorhead had of limiting points, but I think they should also handicap the full time cup drivers by adding weight to the car and or limiting engine HP or size, maybe go back to a 311 Rule.

The Touring Short Track Only Series would be good also, maybe getting 1 or 2 Superspeedway races per year and making a real big show out of it.

You dont never see many Modified guys moving up as much now, who was the last one? Geoff Bodine? But they would be nice to see racing smaller tracks with the Cup guys.

An All Star Series,
                  Cup regulars top 10
                  Nationwide top 10
                  Trucks top 10
                  Modifides top 10

Now take those guys and go race a special race at the Rock and get a big cross section of fans
                  JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                    Here's my recipe: Kill off Nationwide and give the Whelen Modifieds a little more exposure. Run the shows like a Saturday night short track deal: hot laps, heat races, consi's, and the feature show. Make it for all three classes (Modifieds, Trucks, and Cars), and the whole show scheduled to run not more than four hours. It's doable.

All those teams wouldn't have room to park in the infield at a lot of tracks, and the pits would be packed. The idea would be to run each session on one set of tires, none of this having the whole field pit during the race. You come in, you're out. The smaller tracks like Bristol and Martinsville would see teams parking outside the track, next to the entry to the infield. The cars would have to be lined up, ready to roll onto the track as soon as possible after the previous class finishes it's session. Larger tracks like Pocono and Talledega would have enough room for everybody to park the hauler inside.

Random draw for starting positions in the heats. As the season moves along, the guys with higher points would be handicapped to help level the field so there's no runaway champion. The guys that are real good would move up through the field anyway.

If NASCAR wants to continue competing for TV ratings, they need to learn to make it a show. Its about the show, stupid. ;D Things could get real interesting to watch if drivers would jump from one class to the next; i.e., get out of the Modified after the heat, and jump right in a truck and run a heat, then jump into a car and run a heat. Are these guys atheletes or not?

It couldn't get too goofy, like WWF or something, but a little bit of showmanship and a dose of pure luck would make things very entertaining to watch. After all, real racing is only fun for the participants-- spectating is boring.

Switching things up in the format from week to week would help hold people's attention, and show what draws the most interest. They could run my one-day format one week at a short track, and make a weekend long event like they do now at a Superspeedway the following week. Time would tell what people want to see. People are just bored with NASCAR the way it is now. The only way to recapture America's attention is to do something like I'm suggesting here, or figure out a way to make fans proud of their local racing team.
                    this was a big book of fail in asa and world of outlaws..
                    issue with the lower group of racing is wrecks.. it get boring quick when they can't get one lap in cause they keep on wreck'n .. the busch north(or whatever it's called now, was at N.H.M.S. last year.. it was a one or two lap race then wreck.. took 7 yellow for it to carm down to ten laps then wreck..
                    makes for a long day in the stands.
                    nationwide needs to go to more smaller tracks, ones that don't get the sprint..
                    but still go to daytona and a few mile or bigger so they are not a safety hazzard when they move up to cup..
                    I think the cup guys should still run if they want.. but set it up so the first nationwide car gets credit for the win in the nationwide points, but this is where it's hard to change, kyle busch runs the nationwide for gibbs that be a cup team in the lower feild, but harvick is running his own deal. and has no cup team that he drives for, he drives in cup for RCR. so how is his team in nationwide any different than the other nationwide teams,, other than he has a cup ride..
                    same with JR
                    but before they do that they have to fix the areo of the cup cars, nascar is boring because the areo package lets the lead car get a run on the feild for 5-10 laps till the feild reels the lead car in..
                    fix that and it'll be great racing..

Comment

Working...
                    X