No announcement yet.

Barnstormin': Is the Smart Car Dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnstormin': Is the Smart Car Dead?

If you do the math its cheaper to own and operate a 75 Cadillac Fleetwood .(I prefer the 72)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
      In a modern American city, they're more like an answer to a question nobody asked.
      Nice!

We see them alot in San Francisco and East/South Bay but not nearly as much as the Prius. One of my colleagues bought one and had to put dynamat on the firewall because of all the heat and noise coming through. I can definitely see it being a plus in dowtown city environments for parking but on freeways they just make me laugh. Of course since Prius's are like belly buttons in the Bay Area, most of those folks apparently don't care how they look as long as they can brag about being GREEN.

When I hear the smug remarks it makes me think of Freiburger's commentary of old cars paying the majority of their carbon footprint bill in the past since they are not manufactured in todays climate.

I say LUMS and will stick to cars I like.
      Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

I pray to God they are dead ! I hate those things and the people that drive them , well maybe I don't hate the people . But they annoy me . The Smartcar is an insult to the automobile . But , that just me .

Comment

bet 60's British cars get the same milage. and crash safety.. but look cooler..
          if it was cheaper and gas was almost 4 buck a gallon again.
          it have a place..
          they missed a big market.. they should built a stripper model..
          so the mall cops/etc can have a nice small car..
          or the gas meter readers,etc
          I want to see a 3 ring cirrus use one and get those 20 clown in one

Comment

Being a certifiable gearhead and horsepower addict who grew up and still lives in California gets harder every year. So when a couple of friends of mine (Who are gay women, so you can guess where the rest of their politics go from there) decided to buy a Smart Car last year, they couldn't resist the temptation to bring it up to myself, and another friend who owns a new Vette at a party we were all attending.

Them: "So, we decided to buy this "Smart" car (Reeking with self assurance that it has in fact made them somehow smarter, and definitely morally superior) and (Partner A) is going to drive it to work every day and save gas."

Vette driver: "Well, that sure was considerate of you to save all that fuel for me. I hope it was 91 octane." "Your consideration for the environment is surpassed only by that for your friends" <dripping with sarcasm>

I didn't let them off the hook from there either..

Me: "Have you two tried getting it on in that car yet? Just curious."

Me: "Is that car biodegradeable?" Because if you two get hit by a truck in it, you'll need to be buried in it. Wait, a car that doubles as your coffin? Now that's Smart! (Mocking the tagline from the company.)

My wife was beyond pissed at me on the way home, and told me I was going to hell, but I couldn't help myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sport
              Being a certifiable gearhead and horsepower addict who grew up and still lives in California gets harder every year. So when a couple of friends of mine (Who are gay women, so you can guess where the rest of their politics go from there) decided to buy a Smart Car last year, they couldn't resist the temptation to bring it up to myself, and another friend who owns a new Vette at a party we were all attending.

Them: "So, we decided to buy this "Smart" car (Reeking with self assurance that it has in fact made them somehow smarter, and definitely morally superior) and (Partner A) is going to drive it to work every day and save gas."

Vette driver: "Well, that sure was considerate of you to save all that fuel for me. I hope it was 91 octane." "Your consideration for the environment is surpassed only by that for your friends" <dripping with sarcasm>

I didn't let them off the hook from there either..

Me: "Have you two tried getting it on in that car yet? Just curious."

Me: "Is that car biodegradeable?" Because if you two get hit by a truck in it, you'll need to be buried in it. Wait, a car that doubles as your coffin? Now that's Smart! (Mocking the tagline from the company.)

My wife was beyond pissed at me on the way home, and told me I was going to hell, but I couldn't help myself...
              It's nice to know that they now drive a car that looks like a pregnant rollerskate since neither of those girls can get pregnant without a third party and attachments.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Your wife said you're going to hell because you dissed 2 sinners that openly engage in a life-style that God declared an abomination before Him? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                  It seems the smart was designed not to conserve gas, but to conserve parking space. Makes sense in a European city with roads laid out 500 years ago for ox carts. In a modern American city, they're more like an answer to a question nobody asked.
                  I agree, it is a totally different world over here. If you never leave the city you live in thats fine but we have too many open roads. They were more popular when gas was 4.00 + a gallon.
                  So. Central PA
                  Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

The only good use I've ever seen for them, there's a contract maid service that uses them as the company car. After that, is self-assured enviro-freaks or people who laud European reasoning for owning one.

I agree, it looks great for parking.

"Where are ya gonna park a car that small?"...."Bend over, I'll show ya."
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                    X