Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Find: An Unstoppable 1944 Autocar 4x4 Semi-Tractor

Re: Craigslist Find: An Unstoppable 1944 Autocar 4x4 Semi-Tractor

My father knew these old Ardmore vibraters like the back of his hand. The Armory in which he served for the National Guard had a couple of these, as well as a friend and local business man bought one, and had my dad weld a train coupler to the front frame so it could push loaded box cars full of burlap along side his warehouse to the side dock. It too had a homemade hard top.

I think it was Continental powered, and had a very strange shift pattern if memory serves me. I drove it once when I was a teenager,while having it at the shop to make some repairs. Then in the mid-90's dad bought it from his friend, then sold it a few years later. One of those things I wish I had taken some pic's of, only after it was to late.

My all time favorite Army heavy hauler is still an M26 "Dragon Wagon". One ride in one of these as a kid was all it took.

Here's a shot of the nose of it, with my dad at the door of the wrecker along with the shops salesman at the time. Thats just before the train coupler was installed.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
    X