Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Junk Find: The $8500 Oldsmobile Rear End

Re: Racing Junk Find: The $8500 Oldsmobile Rear End

It looks like a 12 bolt with an aluminum 3rd member.

$8500 seems like a lot of money for that. Unless I was doing a high quality restoration to a W30, I probably wouldn't care about having that particular axle.

Comment

The hurst olds I posted pics of in the pic of the day thread has one it is factory on that car ( car is a 71 or 72)
      but then it is a hurst olds it's a cutlass rag top with a w-30 package but not a 442 deff neat but $8500 lol ummmm no lol

Comment

this car

Comment

Its probably worth it for a collector that wants his or her car to really stand out..then again..money wont stop you!.

Comment

You are correct, it is only a GM 12 bolt with an aluminum center section. Only offered in 1970. It is worth the asking price? Well if you watch Barrett-Jackson Auction , you will see they get all excited about an Olds with a W27! I have heard of W30's with the W27 going for $80-$100k.
            I guess the old saying "What ever the traffic will bare" is true in this case.
            Oh by the way, this axle did sell for close to the asking price. The new owner was tickled to have it and thank me for keeping it in such nice condition for the 38 1/2 yrs I owned it.
            And thanks for noticing!!

Dick

Comment

Hey Dick, congrats on the sale and for keeping it pristine for all those years!

Thanks for dropping by to fill us in on the epilogue!

(How did you find our link?)

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

not a chevy twelve bolt -an O axle and big difference

Comment

I think I read somewhere that they use a 12 bolt housing and brakes, but 10 bolt internals with c-clip eliminators. Something like that, anyway.

Comment

Brian,
                    Thank you for the welcome!! Actually I googled "Olds W27 pics" and it popped up as a picture. I was trying to explain to a co-worker and there is the pic I posted on RJ. So I clicked on it to make it big.. it was the link to the newspaper for bangshift. I was tickled to find it!! I had to register and make a comment. This looks like a great site. I will have to keep an eye out for info that applies to my program. I currently am into BBC boat motors for Offshore boats. I have built MSII EFI to run a NA motor and working on a Procharged 572.
                    It has been a while since I concentrated on the cars, and the hard drive is getting over loaded at my age. Spider Gear Man, you are correct, the Olds axle is different, but I dont remember those differences. I guess I should have said, it is an Olds 12 bolt with the aluminum center section. Thank you for recalling that forgotten memory on the pieces!!
                    I am looking forward to enjoying this site. I will be doing some work on my car (now minus a rear axle) in the future.
                    Thanks everyone for the comments!!

I also searched for B&J aution W-27 and found a drop top that went for $222,200.
                    Dick

Comment

that's not your grandpa's oldsmobile!
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                      X