Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR Hall of Fame Attendance Numbers Well Below Predictions

Re: NASCAR Hall of Fame Attendance Numbers Well Below Predictions

It doesn't have anything to do with the overall decline in interest with NASCAR?

Comment

And the current money crunch?
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Except for a few particular races (Daytona, Talladega, Indy, Lowes) NASCAR races are boring. One thing the story doesnt say is how much the admission is for the museum. When you find out, add up how much it would cost to get your family in. I cant see "Bubba" shelling out a months worth of beer and cigarette money or heck even next months payment on the trailer.

Comment

Ticket prices are..

*Adult $18.95

*Senior (60+) $16.95

*Military $16.95

*Children (5-12) 11.95
          so a family of 4 is going to spend over $70. after taxes.

And parking isnt free ,be prepared to spend between 3 - 15 bucks for that.
          I am sure its nice but Charlotte was more worried about having it uptown as they say , than having it closer to where the fans are. I understand the marketing, bring the people into the city , but you have to give the customer what they want , not what you want.
          And maybe Richmond is just a tad jealous also, its over and done, let it be.

Comment

All of the above and more.

Certainly the decline in interest in NASCAR in general would spill into a depressed desire to visit the Hall of Fame. The economy has to be a consideration. And finally the cost of tickets is rediculous. Even with a senior discount it would cost me $20.45 for a general admission ticket. What do NASCAR and its creditors expect? Looks like a total lack of research before putting the whole project together. Finally a lot of folks, including traditional NASCAR fans are really ticked off about some of the initial inductees into the hall of fame. I have heard many say they wouldn't attend for that reason alone. When you piss off the back bone of your possible attendees, you are going to have a hard time making things work.

Maybe along I-95 in Richmond would grab a few more folks on a daily basis, but I wouldn't count on it. I would bet that most folks driving up and down I-95 have little interest in going to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. It might work if the location was was closer to the traditional overnight stay places further south (half way between New York and Florida), but I doubt it. Wives and little kids don't want to spend the time and money to stop in the middle of their trip to spend a couple of hours at a racing museum. I think the folks from Richmond made as poor a case for the Hall of Fame as Charlotte has.

As poor a choice as Charlotte seems to have been, I can't even imagine why Kansas City would even spend the effort to sell their case. I think it is just too far off the beaten NASCAR track for a successful NASCAR Hall of Fame. to be even close to what the poor showing we have seen this far. Daytona may have had a chance at success, except that its location is so far south that folks from up north would not be able to attend in the numbers needed to be considered successful. Geographically, Charlotte was the best choice. But a good location will not overcome the other problems we have already mentioned here.

I guess it all boils down to is poor planning.

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
              Ticket prices are..

*Adult $18.95

*Senior (60+) $16.95

*Military $16.95

*Children (5-12) 11.95
              so a family of 4 is going to spend over $70. after taxes.

And parking isnt free ,be prepared to spend between 3 - 15 bucks for that.
              I am sure its nice but Charlotte was more worried about having it uptown as they say , than having it closer to where the fans are. I understand the marketing, bring the people into the city , but you have to give the customer what they want , not what you want.
              And maybe Richmond is just a tad jealous also, its over and done, let it be.

There are service charges on top of the price of tickets, so you can add about 15 more bucks to your total.

Comment

Just so all knows, 1/2 way between NY and Fla is Lumberton NC, ever seen the drug task force around Lumberton cruising I95. Lots of friends and great people in Robeson County, they just happen to be in the middle of a drug trafficking problem.
                Charlotte or Atlanta was probably the best choices.

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Big surprise here.
                  "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

it's more the money thing, people don't have it..
                    also location, it's in nascar south. and thats grand, but whats around it?
                    I mean ,most will go there after or before a race OR on vaca. but the wife and kids might not care..
                    and if there isn't anything in the area for them to do on vaca.
                    it might get the veto. when vaca planing..
                    nascar has enough other moneys coming in from "offical" everything to keep the hall afloat..
                    nascar isn't boring.. it's only boring to the fans that road the wave..
                    the car is an issue that they should junk. (the old cars are still built for the nationwide )
                    people that they got into the sport with the prittyboys and the toyota car. get bored easily..
                    the fix is as easy..
                    races are two heats then the feature..
                    500 mile race becomes 2 100 mile heats and the 300mile feature..
                    no time to just make laps. every one will need to count..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                      nascar isn't boring
                      Your opinion. Been to one and have no desire to go to another, except for maybe the tailgate parties. Pay to see the "race" not going to happen.
                      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Bullshit financial modeling during the boom times. This industry is not the only one feeling the pain of believing their own shit.

NASCAR does not own the Hall of Fame, they just licensed the use to the City of Charlotte. From the HoF website:

"The NASCAR Hall of Fame is owned by the City of Charlotte, licensed by NASCAR and operated by the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority."

If the loans are defaulted, the entity that takes the hit is Charlotte and probably only the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. Usually an Authority is set up to isolate the finances of the City from an "economic development activity" like the Hall of Fame.

If it goes tits up, Nascar gets a black eye, but doesn't take a financial hit.

Bob

Comment

Just hilarous they projected it to outdraw the baseball hall of fame 2:1 in the first year.
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
                            Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                            nascar isn't boring
                            Your opinion. Been to one and have no desire to go to another, except for maybe the tailgate parties. Pay to see the "race" not going to happen.
                            boring is baseball. pitch a almost no hitter and it's boring. most games are boring ..
                            nascar for the person at the track not keeping up with the pit adjustments to the car, and the chess game of what to do when in the pit and when to pit.. then yes it's boring.. cause of you're only there to see the cars go round and round and crash, then your not really into it anyways

Comment

every finish this year , except montreal busch race , has been a bore
                              he has a point
                              it used to be pretty wild not too long ago

Comment

Working...
                              X