Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Turbo Revolution is Upon Us, Projections Say One-Fifth of Vehicles Sold to be Turbocharged by 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Turbo Revolution is Upon Us, Projections Say One-Fifth of Vehicles Sold to be Turbocharged b

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Your relevant dealership experience was was 20 years ago at a Chrysler place right?

We're in the same boat.
    not quite, the headache of warranty work on tweak'd cars has not changed,
    ask a few here about the oil burning turbo'd trucks,
    you got spidy at a g.m. place(you'll just laugh off what he'll say about it)
    and a few ford guys are here too.
    but yes I worked the dealership when mopar was the turbo king..
    and still have classmates in the field in dealerships that at the 20th reunion said the warranty headache is only getting worse, as the laptop tuners (diy or othwerwise) f@#k with the factory setting.
    this is in trucks the pony cars and the few turbo or nitch cars

you won't believe me(or jim for that matter, ) go ask the ford dealership guy on here..
    not the laptop tuner hero or ones that never seen the warranty void fight with factory and owner first hand..
    as those that love the turbo also melt pistons . and both posted that fact on here in the thread "grinding your gears)
    these doesn't only happen to race tuned cars, it's the factory build ones that get retuned..
    think for a minute, you bring in this turbo'd retuned car with melted pistons under warranty, what you think happens next..

then is facebook/utube/ and car sites on just how much ford/g.m./you pick the factory sucks, and fools not knowing the whole store buy into it..

Comment

Re: The Turbo Revolution is Upon Us, Projections Say One-Fifth of Vehicles Sold to be Turbocharged b

Originally posted by Beagle
      Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      violate the warranty , it is only money , but don't try to bring it back to stock tune and show up at my door
      we have voided several vehicles warranty for laptop mods

sometimes work is fun
      I don't have a problem with that. When you modify it, you take that risk. All part of the game... if you don't have the money to fix it, you probably shouldn't be modifying it to begin with. If you don't understand that, then you probably shouldn't be modifying it. There are probably tons of mommas boys out there believing you can have something for nothing. This is probably a good life lesson for them. Dad taught me this when I was a boy. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

here is the problem with that,the warranty get voided the dealership says pay or get it out of here. then they(the owners) come on sites be it facebook/twitter/here and blast the factory/company for .the pos broke and they won't fix it. and people believe it and the companies name goes in the tank..
      true?
      this is a big issue for car companies that people don't forget anything they ever did wrong. and helps the ones that no one remembers all the junk sent out the door..
      sorry.. this is a bigger issue than most here want to believe and the p.r. guys don't want to go backwards.. it took to long for them to start to change the way people feel about the quality of the big three's cars..
      to let a warranty media nightmare change it back..
      cause lets face it people includeing bloggers read j.d. power like they are a god. and those servays don't beak it down and exclude user error relability issue out of the feed back..

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        maybe the chinese will build the turbos better
        That there is down right funny.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          Originally posted by IRONHEAD
          Originally posted by Schtauffer
          Pissing contests in this thread aside...

The trickle-down to us lowly hot-rodders that will come from more prevalent use of turbos in the OEM's will be quite nice.
          they trickled down in the 80's..
          Weird, I didn't see many hotrods in the 80s with turbos. Only a couple OEM cars, and the turbos were so small that I don't think anyone considered them useful. Not to mention, nobody was using EFI back then, but some made them work with carbs. Rayjay setups, for example, but those weren't junkyard or OEM type turbos to my knowledge.
          Hey my 1986 turbo car works just fine, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle

I like the Eaton on a v6 deal, but I haven't seen them be all that effective on a smaller engine (like 1.8-2.0 liters) compared to a turbo.
            The little supercharger on my MINI S is a riot. 1.6 liter engine. I really think this might be the better way to go on a small engine, but it doesn't have the CAFE advanteges. Unfortunately MINI changed to a turbo on their next iteration, I've driven that and it's not nearly as much fun.

Comment

If 1/5 th of the cars do wind up with turbos being on them , whoever owns it better be damn sure to have it at a service center and the oil change being documented 100% by a qualified tech , and it might be one I want extra protection on after the regular warranty goes out.

Comment

Working...
              X