Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Read: Proving That Drag Racing is the World's Loudest Sport

Re: Great Read: Proving That Drag Racing is the World's Loudest Sport

I've had the privilege of standing at the line for a Pro Mod shootout. I hope I get the chance to do the same for a nitro event!

Comment

I crew for a team in Australia and am the Crew Chief for a pocket funded team.....starting on Alky and then the FUEL comes in.......it is absolutely awesome standing next to the engine. In 2003 and 04, the Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green was brand new. I was there standing on the fence when the FED Fuelers fired and blew my hat right off during the burnouts. I turned to my father, with tears streaming down my face from my massive snoot full of Nitro, we did not even have to say a word...... I could tell that if he died right then, he would have no regrets.
      In 2009 I saw the Reunion again, this time with AA/FA as the headliners, it was the same thing only better.
      The Daddy is right, you hear it in your bones. Ears are irrelevant.

Comment

Nitro cars at the drags are louder than any war, or God on a bad day.
        Great article!
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Never heard a fuel car in person, they don't race on Friday nights at the street drags. I have sat in the stands at a few tractor pulls and you can definitely feel the noise coming from those exhaust pipes. That's about the loudest I've heard. Beaver stadium at Penn State also gets loud enough to hear for a few miles on a game day, but you don't need earplugs sitting in the stands, not that I'd wear earplugs anyway.

Comment

I've taken rookies to Sonoma for the Autolite Nationals...had them drink Sprite or Coke right before TF.....most end up burping and belching like mad after a few passes....LMAO
            The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

its a incredible sound and smell, ive worked in some of the loudest work areas and nothing compairs to a top fuel dragster leaving the line, and ive been lucky enough to be standing along the wall snapping pics, and dont get me started bout the cackel fest and walking around all those old sling shots belching nitro in my face ....... snap a picture, turn head cough gag, turn head back snap pic, turn head cough gag repeat 50X times lol
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman
                I've taken rookies to Sonoma for the Autolite Nationals...had them drink Sprite or Coke right before TF.....most end up burping and belching like mad after a few passes....LMAO
                That's hilarious!! After hearing about my bracket racing I finally talked my neighbors into going to the Autolite Nat'ls and by the time we left, they were already talking about going back next year.

Cool Article!!
                Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

"Their bones will still be shaking when they're underground" - the article's quote attributed to Don Garlits, might be the best description of the sensory impact of Top Fuel I've every read or heard.

Anything you've seen or heard from another kind of car or another type of fuel is NOTHING compared to a fuel car. Pro Mod, alky, nitrous - all that stuff is like an ABBA concert in comparison to ACDC.

Once upon a time I had a pretty cool job that let me go to virtually every track in the country on a fairly regular basis. Every time the fuel cars ran I was on the starting line. Every time. You MUST go at least once in your life to have a reference of comparison.

Comment

Yes they are!
                    I go to a few National events a year and although a lot of times I'm busy and don't make it up, I've been taking time to now and then. I love it.
                    Originally posted by TC
                    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I literally laughed out loud reading that article.

Took my wife to the Texas Motorplex several years ago for an NHRA race. First round of FC was just starting and we were standing in line to get our tickets scanned. She looked at me with a frightened look and said "We're not going in THERE, are we?"

;D ;D ;D
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

"We're not going in THERE, are we?"
                        Hell, yeah!
                        They are louder than 10 Ozzy concerts going on at once.
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                        X