Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEMA 2010: The Ugly, the Bad and the Totally Tasteless

Re: SEMA 2010: The Ugly, the Bad and the Totally Tasteless

That's why my employer has been sticking to PRI - about the only thing in the gallery that would be welcome there is the Yaris. I hope that green car that leads off the gallery was done as a joke - it really puts the "ACK!!!!" in Accord...

Comment

The direct result of people with NO taste and a lot of money.

Comment

Rich Evans also built this slick use of scoops... think I heard he was a tattoo artist turned car builder but who knows

google "ugliest mustang ever" and see the popularity of his work :D

Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Those aren't scoops, they're missle silos! That mess looks like something out of a Vin Diesel "XXX" movie.

Evans' body of work seems to be evidence that not all of the conversion van "customizers" are unemployed. Pity.

Confession: Even though I generally despise all things 'Yoda and genuinely loathe FWD, I found myself strangely drawn to the "HP Yaris." Sure, the graphics are garish and it's an undoubtedly a sub-chick wimpmobile. Actually driving it probably starts one down the road to becoming a yunick (and not the "Smokey" kind).

But there's something about those retro Corolla SR-5 bolt-on fender flares, the headlamp covers (finally a cure for the huge, wind-peeled headlamp look infecting most current econoboxes), and the big race car numbers that keeps me looking. Suddenly, I'm 13 again! I must be a "boy racer" at heart.

I guess if 65 m.p.g. Corporate Average Fuel Economy becomes law, tiny pop-bottle rocket fakers like that Yaris will have to tide many of us over when the cheap vintage stuff runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
            Confession: Even though I generally despise all things 'Yoda and genuinely loathe FWD, I found myself strangely drawn to the "HP Yaris." Sure, the graphics are garish and it's an undoubtedly a sub-chick wimpmobile. Actually driving it probably starts one down the road to becoming a yunick (and not the "Smokey" kind).

But there's something about those retro Corolla SR-5 bolt-on fender flares, the headlamp covers (finally a cure for the huge, wind-peeled headlamp look infecting most current econoboxes), and the big race car numbers that keeps me looking. Suddenly, I'm 13 again! I must be a "boy racer" at heart.

I guess if 65 m.p.g. Corporate Average Fuel Economy becomes law, tiny pop-bottle rocket fakers like that Yaris will have to tide many of us over when the cheap vintage stuff runs out.

Looks like the Yaris is an H/Production road racer. That's an interesting class as it pits several current econoboxes against older sports cars like the MGB and Triumph Spitfire. It may not look pretty, but I wouldn't hesitate to run it around Road Atlanta for a few laps.

Comment

Yeah, Mrs. Speedzzter's got a seldom-running '63 MG Midget** (albeit not in SCCA H Production trim), so I made those "sub-chick wimpmobile" and yunick-maker comments with full knowledge of what motoring with a smaller-than-Harley-size mill is almost always about.

(Truth be told, I'd risk whipping an SCCA-legal H Production fruit cup around a road course, too . . . if I could conceal my identity like "The Stig." )

**Any sports car that comes with five spare engines is probably suspect, even it it wasn't electrified by the "Prince of Darkness" or haphazardly assembled by pub-dwelling British labor unionists.

Comment

Feel free to vocalize your opinions to Mr. Evans face to face. He's easy to spot, he looks like a glen danzig impersonator with a crew cut.
                Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Just don't stand in front of one of those silo-scoops or you might earn a smoldering puncture wound . . . . :o

Comment

Screw it Id drive the Challenger.It looks like a modern version of a 70's street freak.

Comment

It's got the "freak" part down pat.

I'm not sure I'd classify the Challenger as a traditional " '70s street freak" though. Here's why:

As I recall it, the van-style fender flare/running board thing peaked about 1980-81. But Ford advertised a "hot pants" (sic) kit for Pintos as early as 1973, which along with the "air management" of the 1970 Pontiac Trans Am probably inspired a lot of this freakiness.

A true '70s "street freak" was more of a transitional style between the gasser era and pro street. Most of the "freaks" I recall back in the day generally had the following stylistic features:

1. Funny car rake with big tires hanging out of the back fenders (although a few stuck with the high nose, tube axle '60s look)
                      2. Engine parts sticking through the hood (supercharger, tunnel ram, velocity stacks) or a giant L-88, snorkel, "Grump Lump" or Formula 5000 hood scoop (scoops were more commonly used when money was tight). A few ran hoodless.
                      3. Wild custom paint (psychedellic, panel, and custom van-inspired murials were the most common. Retro flames, however, were sometimes used)

Typically a street freak based on a "late model" muscle car would blend elements of van culture (e.g. hideous crushed velvet interiors, fur) but a few followed a pure, stripped-down competition motif. Big engine/subcompact and retired gassers were also common choices for "street freaks."

Here's a fairly good example of a gasser-style "street freak."

Comment

Why anyone even bothers to go to the SEMA show is beyond me. PRI is where the cool stuff is. I really could care less about tatted up ho's and lizzard skin muffler bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist formerly known as Speedzzter
                          Yeah, Mrs. Speedzzter's got a seldom-running '63 MG Midget** (albeit not in SCCA H Production trim), so I made those "sub-chick wimpmobile" and yunick-maker comments with full knowledge of what motoring with a smaller-than-Harley-size mill is almost always about.

(Truth be told, I'd risk whipping an SCCA-legal H Production fruit cup around a road course, too . . . if I could conceal my identity like "The Stig." )

**Any sports car that comes with five spare engines is probably suspect, even it it wasn't electrified by the "Prince of Darkness" or haphazardly assembled by pub-dwelling British labor unionists.
                          what are you , out on parole or something ?

Comment

while i normally agree on many of the auto fashion f-k ups you mention here on BS Brian...I do not feel the same way about this truck..i would rock it.

need more tire tho....
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

To each his own!

I say less green, more tire, less wheel.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X