Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': The Real McCoy

Re: Barnstormin': The Real McCoy

Brian this is one of your best blogs ever. Thanks.
    Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more, it's your rod, build it the way you want it. There is no right or wrong way to do it. A lot of people don't understand why I like driving a car that idles at 1100 in gear, inside temps hover around 110* in the summer and it sounds like a tin can inside.....it's because that's what I like!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Brian, I agree with Bamfster, It is YOUR truck. You should build it the way You want it. You should also not feel like you need to answer to anybody or explain yourself about anything YOU do to YOUR rig. I cant wait to see you crusing around Abington and the nearby surrounds. I suggest you stay away from Hallamore, They may want to buy it and paint it orange and white!

Comment

I may be wrong but I think these trucks had an original 2-speed rear option. If there were anything I would change, that would be it. I would NOT do it to get more highway speed but only to lower the cruising rpm's on the six popper.

Comment

Totally agree with you. While I can't stand some peoples projects and think many are sacraligious clean, functional and stock never will be. Granted if she was mine I'd probably find a front end off of an IFS 60-63 GMC/Chevy C50 and ride smooth, with the same huge drums as the straight axle.

Comment

Brian, I'd have to agree that this is the best blog ever... Mostly because I TOTALLY get it! Case in point - my '77 F350 dump truck. With the low rearend gears, 300ci straight six, and NP435 granny-low 4speed, it doesn't get anywhere fast, but I'm totally cool with that. It has a hard time maintaining pace with traffic unloaded, let alone once it has 7000lbs of stone in the bed. My other 3 trucks have the largest gas motors available stuffed in them (04 F250 - V10, 79 F250 and 79 F350 - both 460 powered) and people can't understand why I don't yank the little six out of this working dump in favor of a big block, but the fact is that I just LOVE driving it with the six. Every time I get in it and start rowing through the gears, I get this really stupid grin on my face. It's ugly, slow, underpowered, loud, and all over the road, but I just freakin' love driving it. Can't describe it, but I totally get it.
              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

I understand completely why you are keeping it this way. It is not going to stop us from suggesting improvements. Advice is free whether wanted or not. ;D
                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Understood.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                    Mostly because I TOTALLY get it! Case in point - my '77 F350 dump truck.
                    But the dump has a JOB! :D

Very cool Brian! Even if I don't get it, I totally respect it! And that's what makes this place so great!

Comment

Originally posted by rjfscorpio711
                      I may be wrong but I think these trucks had an original 2-speed rear option. If there were anything I would change, that would be it. I would NOT do it to get more highway speed but only to lower the cruising rpm's on the six popper.
                      Problem with that idea is that you get an even steeper gear ratio with the 2 speed, you don't get overdrive.

Great article Brian, I definitely get it...I've worked on a few slowpokes over the past several years, it's fun to drive them as they were back then. My son's 59 chevy pickup has the stock rebuilt 235/granny 420/ 3.90 rearend, my other son's 70 camaro has the original not rebuilt 6 popper, pg, and (gotta love it) 2.73 rearend gears. I've also worked on and got to drive a few early 30s cars with old engines.

But I still like blasting down the road in an overpowered hot rod too

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Goliath rules! ;D

Comment

have less vehicles make more babies

Comment

Some of us just have to beat the drum to a different tune.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Your truck stands out not because of it's size but the fact it's not all hot rodded out. Slow is good ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X