Barnstormin': The Real McCoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnstormin': The Real McCoy

Brian, I totally get it. As a driver of a straight-axle, 4.10-geared, non-power steering pickup, I get it, and love it.

Being a New-Englander, and a guy who likes to drive a little distance now & then, I have to make sacrifices to the realities of the pothole gods. At some point, my '56 is getting IFS. For survival.

The ONLY reason I suggested some sacrifices to the reality of today's highways was because I have this vision;
    ... two old green & white Chevys cruising up to Loring for a race weekend, side by side, blocking traffic on I-95, grinning the whole way. Possibly even towing a racecar. Or two. Someday.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by weim55
      For all the hot rod stuff that I can't keep my mits off of, I always have at least one bone stock original in the fleet. I horse trade 'em out when I fall in love with the next "new" old experience. And that never ends. Every one of 'em has their own personality and style. I dig the stockers just as much as the horsepower thrillers. My "Goliath" was '55 Chevy "6400" I had a few years back. Stock 265, 420 4-speed, 2-speed axle. I put a 5th wheel hitch on I had lyin' around. Just to get a feel for the experience I hooked onto a semi pup trailer (24 footer) and drove it around the area a bit. Yes, there's a reason for that 2-speed axle. With the load and that whopping 162 horsepower V8 you gotta be practiced and smooth rowing and splitting gears to keep the acceleration happening. I drive semis at work so it was cool to see what it would have been like for local haul guy back in the 50s with this setup. Think about backing up this rig 30 some odd times a day. No power steering. A mirror the size of your hand. you plan EVERYTHING ahead........(read... brain engaged) ..... Think about that suggestion for a 2 speed axle in "Goliath" . I don't know if it would make you go any faster but you can wow 'em with your practiced rowin' and splittin' with that 2- speed axle (vacuum operated !!)

Thanks for the post Brian.......

Steve weim 55 Colorado
      I liked reading this as much as the blog.(and that was a great read)
      the first truck I drive was a 283 with a 2speed rear.. very difficult. no synchros letting it all fall into place. you had to be the machine. As strange as destiny has it, the second truck I drove was my dads rig... lucky if it had 300hp. 40tons and hills was a well thought out plan ahead. The discipline and lines drawn of what really works and what drives down the road like a male with a perm... well I need say no more.

I am too young in my 30s to ever get tortured like that with any automobile in realtime history...

I hang onto a ten geared subaru with 1781cc for the same reason one may keep a nostalgic worker.(seriously)
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony
        Being a New-Englander, and a guy who likes to drive a little distance now & then, I have to make sacrifices to the realities of the pothole gods. At some point, my '56 is getting IFS. For survival.
        Survival of you or the truck? I'd guess the original suspension is stronger than any IFS that you're likely to put in....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

flip the shocks ? and a delco saginaw 800 box for p/s

Comment

I agree it is yours and do as you want to make it the way you want it..
            but I think you also need to get out of that glass house.. cause If you truely feel that way about your toy's and some of the older cars that are not rodded..
            then their should be some love for the cars/trucks that find their way into blog stories because the owners taste isn't the same as your's and most of the people here..
            everyone has theri taste and what they like, and even tho. the bash blogs are entertaining.. if you truely believe in this blog on your own vehicles.. you'd think you'd see the other side of the coin when you come across, a car/truck that looks , to YOU, as a total mess ,FAIL..
            good luck with your truck and looking at the other side or a COIN, before you blog another bash fest. on a style of mod's that are out of your taste or style.

Comment

Working...
            X