No announcement yet.

Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Beats All Comers in LA Sheriff's Office Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Beats All Comers in LA Sheriff's Office Testing

Re: Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Beats All Comers in LA Sheriff's Office Testing

Gee, I'd sure love to read the article - if EGM would QUIT THE POP-UP's! The pop-up window came up no matter what I did and I couldn't navigate away from it. This made me just a LITTLE p***ed off!

I'll try again later, Brian. Maybe then you will have figured out a way to turn it off, wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

Comment

Re: Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Beats All Comers in LA Sheriff's Office Testing

Sorry, can't turn off pop-ups at other people's sites.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I didn't see any test result for the "morning shift zoomies jump a curb at 65 mph" test ....hmmmm
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Coffee cup holders look to small and no space for donuts. ;D Hope Bamfstr doesnt read this :

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
            Coffee cup holders look to small and no space for donuts. ;D Hope Bamfstr doesnt read this :
            IIRC he's got a Hemi Charger. Plenty of spaces in the passenger seat for a box of Krispy Kremes. ;D Though, looking at the dude, you'd be convinced he's never liked a donut.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
              Originally posted by ksj1
              Plenty of spaces in the passenger seat for a box of Krispy Kremes. ;D
              EVERYONE knows Lamars are 10,000X's better than Krispy Kremes!!!!!!!
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

A Panther Police Interceptor with a Coyote V8 would have done as well or better than Mulally's stupid Taurus. And V8 Panthers would have been a lot better for JY-prowling Bangshifters in the future (Almost nothing off of a Taurus will work on a hot rod project)

The Taurus isn't much if any lighter than the Panther and it will prove to be a lot more fragile in service. Repairs will be more costly (taxpayers will love that). Taxi companies won't be able to get another 200,000 miles out of police cast-offs (which is likely part of FoMoCo's profit maximization plan). The Taurus Interceptor will be a fiasco.

It's just sad that there won't be any more "real" V8 body-on-frame cars after Ford kills the Panther. Other than the Mustang, Ford will be completely out of the V8 automobile business.

Comment

I don't believe being lighter is an advantage in a police vehicle. The new cars from Ford are AWD, and protect the driver in a 75 mph rear impact. This is something a lightweight vehicle won't do. Since it is based on the Taurus, why would it be so much more expensive to repair? Te Panther has been seriously deficient in the rear end protection with quite a few driver's being killed in rear end collisions. The new cars, while being heavier, offer much better protection.

Comment

Lighter = Better fuel economy (the whole reason for all of this downsizing crap)

Panther fuel tank issue is vastly overblown.

Unibody cars are harder to repair. Ergo more expensive. (How many unibody stock cars have you seen lately?)

Comment

The Panther fuel tank is safer than 100% of all GM RWD A-Bodies.

Comment

I'll be interested to see the purchase price of the eco-boost AWD versus the Charger and the Caprice. Since the Taurus PI comes in 2 versions, the base is a FWD N/A V6. I'm guessing that most agencies aren't going to pony up for the extra cost of a twin turbo all-wheel drive cop car. I'll bet most Taurus PI's will be base V6's and thay'll be detective units. The only thing that might change my mind is if they can beat the crap out of the Taurus for 200K miles and have it still hold together like the Panthers do.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

"According to Ford, the new Taurus-based Police Interceptor will get 25 percent better fuel efficiency than the outgoing V8 Crown Vic while offering significantly better performance."

I guess a heavier vehicle will get better mileage.....

Comment

last I saw one of them tests , the hemified metric charger ran 150 , 3.9 impala went 140 mph and and the cab vic ran 120 on the top end
                            good thing they have a turbo , but those things will be an overheating service nightmare
                            idling all day on the side of the road , in gear
                            nyc runs a ton of impalas and they burn through 4L65e like water ..have not heard how the six speed is holding up in cop cars , ford uses the same trans

Comment

Working...
                            X