Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': In With the Outlaw

Re: Barnstormin': In With the Outlaw

I grew up not too far South of there. That track would get a lot of grudge racers and big names wanting to test their cars away from some of the prying eyes of Bradenton and Gainesville. Fun track!

Comment

Wish I had one of those around here!....
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Sounds familiar.Mid-America Raceway in Manhattan Kansas.Ron Ward can attest to the fun that can be had there. ;D I'll have to take my camera next spring.Ron will be my designated driver though. ;) Manhattan KS is closer Dan. ;D

Comment

How far west of Topeka is that?
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I wish there were more tracks like this. Theres also the track which I forget the name of that was run by an "old timer" and was featured on HorsePower TV. Tracks like this deter racing on the street. I would pay $10 bucks any day to have legal drag fun!

Comment

You are thinking of George Ray's Wildcat Dragstrip.

George recently passed, but the track continues.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brian, if you're digging the off beat tracks, Middle Georgia this area is covered in little places like Lakeland. Swing by HeadHunter in Eatonton, it's little more then a highway with a christmas tree at one end. Lots of cool stuff shows up just because. On the other end of the spectrum just a few minutes from Augusta, is the Carolina Dragway in Jackson, SC. The track is IHRA, but Jeff Miles runs it with the basic rule of "as long as you don't leak, run it". You've seen that Dodge Caravan with the helicopter turbine? It runs at Jackson, and it's almost common to see the likes of Chris Tuten or Wildman running on a Thursday night or Sunday afternoon TNT.

Comment

Carolina Dragway, aka "The House of Hook" is legendary!

It is on my list!!!!

Brian

Comment

Cecil County and CD are two places on my bucket list..

anybody wanna trade a van for a Gran Prix?????serious..i have an itch for a van...like those dodges featured last year..black rims and all...
                    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Drag Week should do an outlaw track week once.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

So therein lies the drag week conundrum.

Amazing performances come from top notch tracks with the room and surface to let cars like Larry's Nova and Jeff's '57 eat. Unfortunately, most of those places are as about as soulful as a McDonalds.

On the flip side, there are lots of cool tracks that would really limit the ability of unlimited cars to run all out, safely anyway.

Which fork in the road do you take? Cool tracks or huge numbers?

I'd argue that the numbers sell magazines, but my heart wants the cool tracks.

Brian

Comment

Great piece of writing Brian, very enjoyable. Top Fuel Wormhole stuff.
                          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Dan,50 miles away.Used to be an AHRA 1/4 mile track and now 1/8 mile.Usually a couple of hundred cars and maybe 5 workers and it works like clock work.Sometimes they dont even have a posted schedule.Errol the owner is the shit.Pays racers quite well and does have insurance ;D He is so for the racers that he has a self watering burnout box rather than hiring someone to use a garden hose. ;D

Comment

Numidia Dragway, my local track, isn't a sanctioned track. It has a small set of bleachers, not that tough of tech inspection for the street legal drags on a Friday night. It's a full 1/4 mile though, and has a large enough shutdown area for 6 second cars. Probably the only strip I'll ever go to because it's pretty close, only 45 minutes away, and I'll probably only move closer. The outlaw tracks are out there, and they are good.

Comment

Working...
                              X