X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BorgWarner Jumps Into the Performance Turbocharger Market

Re: BorgWarner Jumps Into the Performance Turbocharger Market

These have a LOT of potential...!!!

Internal gates for bigger turbos is a good idea... provisions for speed sensors is an even better one!

I can't wait to see one of these in person!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

ok but like the class that ron wood posted the x275 in nmca and nmra the turbo rules don't allow these, so.
      would the exotic materials limit the use for racers,

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
        ok but like the class that ron wood posted the x275 in nmca and nmra the turbo rules don't allow these, so.
        who cares? I don't race that class or know anything about it. The potential for scaled up wastegate for higher performance turbo has the potential to save a lot of money and fabrication effort. Position sensor capability is icing on the cake.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yeah Borg-Warner already have a heck of a reputation in the parts industry, these things are probably greatness. Have to check them out when I go turbo hunting.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Gamma-Titanium Aluminide is a particular crystal phase of titanium and the aluminide part is the addition of aluminum as an alloying metal otherwise the titanium would be way too brittle. Titanium is pretty interesting stuff as far as metals go. Depending on the temp and other factors it can create different crystal structures when it solidifies. Don't know anything specific about this stuff though, we just looked for the wrong crystal structure in the Ti parts that failed. Most aerospace Ti is 6V-4Al which is 6% Vanadium and 4% Aluminum by mass I think.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Borg Warner has kinda already been in the performance market if they didn't know it. Look at a S400 class, like a s480. ;D

It looks like you might can get some good info from it, and having all the junk already on there is convenient. I guess it would suck if one of those builtin parts failed, but that's true of any all in one. Should kick ass while it's working!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                who cares? I don't race that class or know anything about it. The potential for scaled up wastegate for higher performance turbo has the potential to save a lot of money and fabrication effort. Position sensor capability is icing on the cake.
                you cares, well racers do, you know people that HAVE the cars,

Comment

The several dozen guys who race that class in NMRA and NMCA aren't exactly going to cripple the sales of these.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

and if the nhra follows suit..
                    unless these are for the street racer,, I guess my question, would've brought in a query on if they are going to build them also to fit in racing classes,
                    but I guess d/g's "who cares" is gonna have to be good enough.

Comment

unless these are for the street racer,, I guess my question, would've brought in a query on if they are going to build them also to fit in racing classes,
                      I asked who cares and nobody has chimed in yet - except for you, but that's to be expected on pretty much every thread here nowadays...

Tons of people might be interested in one of these turbos. Lots of guys have problems getting optimized wastegate locations (these are simple, and rebuildable, so I am not worried about failures or maintenance). I know from using larger OEM turbos on smaller gas engines, internal wastegates can be a HUGE moneysaver and work great, so long as you're not moving more air than the wastegate can handle. Having lots of wastegate means you can more easily control a wider range of boost pressures. The best can regulate all the way down to zero psi of pressure at all RPM/loads.

I could see some use for these in towing apps, gas and diesel. How awesome would a 500+ inch Cadillac motor be in an older truck that you pull a racecar with?

Doesn't really matter if I have a race car or not, I'm smart enough to see that these are a step up from what's typically offered to the average hotrodder.

Comment

If if if if, but but but, what if the government bans them, or Kroger Grocery store, or or or : Lame. I'll be looking at them for sure.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

how does the pricing compare to their competition?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            I asked who cares and nobody has chimed in yet - except for you, but that's to be expected on pretty much every thread here nowadays...

Tons of people might be interested in one of these turbos. Lots of guys have problems getting optimized wastegate locations (these are simple, and rebuildable, so I am not worried about failures or maintenance). I know from using larger OEM turbos on smaller gas engines, internal wastegates can be a HUGE moneysaver and work great, so long as you're not moving more air than the wastegate can handle. Having lots of wastegate means you can more easily control a wider range of boost pressures. The best can regulate all the way down to zero psi of pressure at all RPM/loads.

I could see some use for these in towing apps, gas and diesel. How awesome would a 500+ inch Cadillac motor be in an older truck that you pull a racecar with?

Doesn't really matter if I have a race car or not, I'm smart enough to see that these are a step up from what's typically offered to the average hotrodder.
                            in the thread about pricing a real turbo set up shannon linked a CC build, and the limiting factor was the internal wastegates,

Comment

Built in speed sensor immediately makes this a "must check out." I'm not a huge fan of internal wastegating for performance apps, but its worth considering to save on the plumbing hassles.

Pricing will be key.

The innovation in performance turbos continues to ramp up. I like competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X