Ancient Video: Walter Snow Fighter Trucks Battling Blizzards in the 1930s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Video: Walter Snow Fighter Trucks Battling Blizzards in the 1930s

Re: Ancient Video: Walter Snow Fighter Trucks Battling Blizzards in the 1930s

I can't watch the video from work, but I just had to LOL at this:

but back then, these big beasts were viewed as the best thing since sliced bread (which was pretty freaking new iteself!)
    :D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

back whent a storm was a storm, a truck was a truck , going by the house that is a house still standing.

this rain storm today... 4 to 6 feet all at once.. once upon a cold december. ..
      but no its a smelly frying pan blown headgasket and a smoke cloud today. :
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

When I was a teenager, my Dad bought a 1950 Wally from a local Highway Dept., we stripped all the snow fighting gear from it, and he was going to make it a fowl weather wrecker for the family towing biz. It had a 190 Cummins, 5spd main, 4spd aux., and best of all, the center chimney through the hood!

Long story short, a guy feel in love with it, and with my Dads motto being "money is easier to stack than trucks",
        off it went.

I was always intrigued by the portal style axle that, like the MB Unimog, Walters used on their trucks.
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Jeremy, were those axles designed for the "snow fighter" to give it additional clearance or were they on all Walters?
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

As far as I've been told, all had them, and it was more a gear ratio thing, like in the high 10 to 1 if I recall. They were sloooooooooow, like 50 tops, right up your alley Bruab.

We'll have to do alittle googling for the facts, or if a gun is held to my head, I could call iand ask the old man ;D
            (he's getting more grumpier by the day lol)

Comment

I about peed my pants when I found out the early ones had nearly 700ci flat head six-cylinder engines. 5 inch bore by 6 inch stroke or something like that!
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                I about peed my pants when I found out the early ones had nearly 700ci flat head six-cylinder engines. 5 inch bore by 6 inch stroke or something like that!
                Yeah, and 150hp on a clear day, real powerhouse's lol.

The 1949 Autocar my Gramp and Dad had as a wrecker, started life with an 800ci Waukesha, and then a string of big cube Continental's, all blew up. When my Dad aquirered it from my Gramps, the first thing he did was install a Super 250 Cummins and never looked back lol.

Gas motors in old plow trucks were common for one reason, they started in the cold lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                  Now I want to see one of those engines in person :o
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                    Now I want to see one of those engines in person :o
                    I'll give you a clue as to what they look like Randal, a HUGE rectangle of cast-iron, with a mag, and a tiny up-draft carb lol

Comment

Hmm. I loved the second video clip. My type of plowing. Well, in my case, 4 low, and just freaking punching the go-pedal until I hit something or bounce off something.

I love solid axle trucks!

{Shameless plug of my '79}
                      ;D
                      Andrew
                      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

pppfffftttt!! I just used Dad's '73 Coupe de Ville to ram drifts. So did my sister, except she kept getting stuck.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

In Saskatchewan Canada where I used to live, they organized "Snow-Plow Clubs" back in the day.

Like minded citizens would band together, buy a tractor (or make a lease agreement with a local farmer) equip it with a plow and set to the task of keeping the roads open. It wouldn't be unusual to have several such clubs in a single community, some even funded by municipal money. One way or the other, everyone kicked in for his share of road mileage and a bit extra for the school road, the main street and so forth.

There is still at least one place where such a club exists. Lumsden Sask, a small community in the Quappelle valley just north of Regina, the Provincial capital.

Here's more info. http://www.lumsden.ca/rm189/pages/services.php#snow

Comment

Working...
                          X