Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monday Time Killer: Free Historic Technical Documents from the GM Heritage Center!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Time Killer: Free Historic Technical Documents from the GM Heritage Center!

Re: Monday Time Killer: Free Historic Technical Documents from the GM Heritage Center!

Wow. I had no idea. What a bunch of information.

So, I've always wondered how they got those neat dead-smooth laquer finishes on old GM cars...picked out a random '71 full-size, and there it is: One coat rustproofing, four hand-sprayed primers, "dipped" primer baked at 390 degrees, hand-sprayed sealer, air-dry primer sprayed on lower areas then primer-surfacer sprayed over whole thing, by hand, then another 285-degree baking...Then power wet sanding followed by hand sanding, and the water cleaned off by hand and dried in an infrared oven. 3 coats of actual laquer are sprayed, baked at 200, then power- and hand-sanded using mineral spirts a wetting agent. Then, the neat trick: "Final Baking: To assure a durable, hard, high-luster finish the laquer is baked for 30 minutes at 275 degrees F. Reheating the laquer after final sanding permits paint film to soften, allowing surface blemishes and sanding scratches to disappear during the thermo-reflow process."There may be some machine polishing afterwards, where neccesary, and all horizontal surfaces are waxed.

All for a garden-variety regular Chevy, detailed from GM itself.

There's plenty more, but it appears they skipped the Vega in the index there. Hmmm... > :D

Comment

Re: Monday Time Killer: Free Historic Technical Documents from the GM Heritage Center!

Seems like only the chevy stuff is FREE, damn, I wnted to compare weights on the GTO and all its other A-body brothers.
      I seen for a 64 Chevelle , curb weight on a stick shift SS v8 cpe is frt 1660 / rear 1495 / total 3155 plus 35lbs for water, and 122 for a full tank of gas. Total of 3312.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

What a fantastic resource. I already have the print version for my 67 Chevelle, but just killed some time learning (finally) the (exact) differences between the different trim levels of Chevy trucks (I picked 73): Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne, Cheyenne Super, Camper Special, etc.

Also learned that NP205 stands for New Process 205. Tons of other gems in there too.
        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Your blog is so epic you've caused me to junk my Dad :D

Your dad is officially junk from here on out
          Day consumer is starting now :P
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

By-the-way, I'll save everyone the trouble of looking...

The correct code number for the Police Equipment package on your 1960 Corvair, is LPO 1104.

:D

Hey, look at this! Over in "merchandise", you can buy made-in-U.S. re-pop neon dealer signs.

Six-thousand, five hundred dollars. You can get a regular bow-tie, for $3500. Whew...

Comment

The Nova equivelant of my Skylark

Weight: 3271lbs Base +87lbs A/C +30lbs P/S + 9lbs A/T + 9lbs P/B + 11lbs AM/FM radio + 27lbs (250 L6, mine had the 231 Buick).

Total: ~3444lbs OE

Probably with the larger rear axle, bigger brakes, and larger engine, I'm probably over 4,000lbs :-\ Me and my heavy cars, I really need to hit a scale to actually see.

The rallye cluster was $99 option :o Base price for the six cylinder 2-dr was $3493

Neat site for sure.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Looked up my Suburban, too. Looks like it was both pretty loaded and a special order color combination - for some reason, Fire Red paint and a gray interior weren't a recommended combo.

Comment

the 84 monte came with a diesel 350 option. ???
                  would like to find that one. ;D
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Re: Monday Time Killer: Free Historic Technical Documents from the GM Heritage C

Super cool! Kinda makes me miss my '68 Chevy Panel and wonder how badly it would have sucked to drive my '69 Suburban with the origional 250ci 6cyl and powerglide.

Comment

Working...
                    X