X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Historic Video: A Gurney-Westlake Powered British Ford Transit Van

Re: Cool Historic Video: A Gurney-Westlake Powered British Ford Transit Van

FARRRRKING AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
    They built 3 Supervans me thinks, the last one was powered by a Cosworth F1 donk...
    But this one was the coolest by far!
    Lotsa GT40 stuff used. The gear linkages woulda been an interesting fab job!
    Ahhh I love it!!!!

Comment

It seems the Europeans have a thing for hot rodded vans.

Here's the French version 24 years later.

Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Here is the second version- http://www.flickr.com/photos/cortina...iefordadverts/

and the third- http://www.seriouswheels.com/def/For...A-1024x768.htm

And a great Transit site with lots of pic's

P.S.- does anything sound as good as a Gurney-Weslake 5.0L with 180 degree pipes?
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

When I saw the pics., it sounded familiar. When I saw the mag. covers, I instantly remembered seeing it in C & D. Weirdly cool!

Interesting that the chassis engineers couldn't figure a way to nullify more body lean and rear squat; they might have seen significantly greater lap times.

Love the cheesy era music!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman
            Love the cheesy era music!
            The music from running that motor at full throttle was pretty entertaining, too.

Comment

I remember reading in some Shelby book that they built a 427-powered Econoline or maybe two for support of the 24 Heurs du Le Mans effort. That'd be a box that would rock!

Hmm, how about a drag race! Gurney-Westlake Transit in the left lane and 427 Shelby Econoline in the right . . . .

Comment

The V8 Econolines were used as service vehicles for the monte carlo rally. They were built at holman & moody. Can't remember how many were built (4?) with 289's and one had a 427 and was used as a parts chaser by Alan Mann racing in the UK, after ford was finished with it. No one seems to know where any of them are today....Wonder where the Transit Supervan is??

Comment

The Holman-Moody vans may be different from the Shelby vans. But because Alan Mann racing had involvment in the successful 1965 World GT Championship campaign of Shelby's Daytona Coupe Cobra (which overlapped with the Ford GT Le Mans program), it could be they're the same vans. Moreover, Dave Friedman's book Shelby GT40: Shelby American Original Archives 1964-1967 Including GT40, Mk. II, Mk. IV, and More , claims that the 427s used in the Le Mans effort were all "developed" by Holman-Moody in NASCAR racing. So there could be some confusion. Friedman was Shelby American's in-house photographer, so he'd probably know.

Comment

;D Thats why I love England and the bonus this time was Arnold Sundqvist, Gothenburg Sweden and his jetdragster Silver Streak ay Santa Pod. Corgi toys , England made a model car of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy ~The Pontificating Windbag
                      The Holman-Moody vans may be different from the Shelby vans. But because Alan Mann racing had involvment in the successful 1965 World GT Championship campaign of Shelby's Daytona Coupe Cobra (which overlapped with the Ford GT Le Mans program), it could be they're the same vans. Moreover, Dave Friedman's book Shelby GT40: Shelby American Original Archives 1964-1967 Including GT40, Mk. II, Mk. IV, and More , claims that the 427s used in the Le Mans effort were all "developed" by Holman-Moody in NASCAR racing. So there could be some confusion. Friedman was Shelby American's in-house photographer, so he'd probably know.
                      The Vans were definetly built at holman and moodys. Shelby never built a V8 econoline, lat alone several. They had a falcon V8 sedan delivery that was their parts chaser. The H&M built econolines were shipped to the UK upon V8 conversion, used in the Monte Carlo rally and then the trail goes cold. As I said, AMR is thought to have kept the 427 one, one or more of the 289 ones MAY have gone back to the USA and used by Ford affiliated teams such as Shelbys.

Comment

Time Wasters...
                        http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Working...
                        X