Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysler Registers the Word Cuda as a Trademark, We Dunno Why

Re: Chrysler Registers the Word Cuda as a Trademark, We Dunno Why

It probably means that they want to protect the potential revenue stream from licensing "Cuda" automobilia, toys, and parts. Many of the old automobile brands and nameplates will remain protected intellectual property of the various OEMs for the same reason.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a revival of the "'Cuda" as an automobile, though.

Comment

I guess I should have read the whole entry before posting because I speculated virtually the same thing as the blog . . . that's a problem with the forums, because the blog entry doesn't show up.

An additional reason to protect a historic nameplate is so that it won't show up on a competitor's product. Who would want to see "Cuda" slapped on some Chinese FWD econobox? Not Maria Mopar! GM will likely maintain the trademarks for Pontiac, Oldsmoble and Hummer for the same reasons.

Comment

I agree, GM still holds all the licensing etc.. on the Buick Grand National logo. They've even sued people who've tried to reproduce headrests. There is no alternative GM offering so it sucks big time.
        Powertour off/on since 2002
        sigpic

Comment

I'd bet they'd license the headrest logo for enough money . . . .

I can understand why OEMs would want to protect against inferior knock-offs of the parts they sell and their trademarks from losing their legal distinctiveness. But when the OEMs have stopped producing replacement parts for a particular model, it's patently unfair to hold restorers and vintage car owners hostage to "trademark greenmail."

Restoration of milestone models helps promote an OEM's brand and increases the brand's good will among brand loyalists, enthusiasts and even the general public. So putting up artificial roadblocks, such as excessive licenisng fees, is shortsighted.

Comment

Damn, looks like Dynacorn will now have to pay royalties to build Cuda bodies. >
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X