Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blizzard Preparedness: Screw Canned Goods and Batteries, Fix the Antique John Deere Snowmobile!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard Preparedness: Screw Canned Goods and Batteries, Fix the Antique John Deere Snowmobile!

Re: Blizzard Preparedness: Screw Canned Goods and Batteries, Fix the Antique John Deere Snowmobile!

I love it, funny as Hell, we want some action shots now, even if they're taken in the Emergency Room!

Comment

Re: Blizzard Preparedness: Screw Canned Goods and Batteries, Fix the Antique John Deere Snowmobile!

Get out and ride that thing. Oh, and we need a helmet cam :D. LOL at "flathead, we're not hacks" comment.
      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Rock On Dude.....
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Nice write-up, there's no better way to spend the holidays than wrenching.

And yes, "and a screw driver (flathead, we're not hacks)" is the quote of the page.
          sigpic

Comment

Awesome! Now....when the blizzard is over and you've had your fun....don't let this poor thing suffer the same fate it has for the last 2 years...store it properly so it can be enjoyed again next blizzard.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm assuming you own a hemlet - er - helmet. Use it. You have two little boys and while Mrs. Brian could probably do better on the rebound the guys NEED you.

Have fun. If I didn't do SO poorly in cold weather I could, possibly, be interested in joining you. BTW - where's the rad on this thing? I saw a radiator-looking hose thing heading off from the motor to points unknown and couldn't see the other end. Does it have a heater core somewhere? If water cooled it should be no big deal to put some of that hot water to use.

Dan

Comment

fwiw - my experience with smokers.

If it still smokes a lot after running for a bit and it seems kind of quiet and slow, pull the exhaust and make sure the exhaust ports are clean. If it has a fiberglass wrapped insert in the exit end of the pipes, pull that wrapping crap off cuz it will be nasty by now. Watch yourself if they are really crappy because it will run like a different animal with them removed. A clean exhaust path makes for a happy two stroke. They'll carbon the ports up pretty quick with leaded gas and rich oil mixture... so if it's never been done, it's worth considering the time to verify they are clean.

Unleaded shouldn't hurt them - I wonder if that had anything to do with the alcohol they were putting in unleaded back then? We had a lot of stuff from the 70's that would mix with water from the air and then eat the "neoprene anything" or rubber anything it touched. Hell, it will corrode aluminum it's so bad.

Outrunning the cops with snow chains on is a bad idea. They probably know where you delinquents live. :o ;D

Comment

Love the hat! ;D
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

That's great - highlight of my work day - nice job.....
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Nice sled,liquifires are pretty collectible and worth a nice chunk of change now days. Be careful taking anything out of the exhaust because you will need to rejet or you will probably seize it up,we have a couple guys that race them on our circuit.

Comment

NICE WORK , Big Brian!

Not to start anything, but I would bet that is a 76 JD cyclone 340, in "blitz black" as I think they were also available in "mean Green" too. I think that , since it is fan cooled, not a liquid cool, with would be a liquifire.

I think they used the Kioritz engine in both the liquid and fan cooled, while the air cooled got a Kohler.

Then again I may be full of shit ! ;D
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Cool!

Sounds like you might need that
                          thing to get around in seeing the East Coast
                          weather reports

Does it 'run like a Deere'
                          :D
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                            NICE WORK , Big Brian!

Not to start anything, but I would bet that is a 76 JD cyclone 340, in "blitz black" as I think they were also available in "mean Green" too. I think that , since it is fan cooled, not a liquid cool, with would be a liquifire.

I think they used the Kioritz engine in both the liquid and fan cooled, while the air cooled got a Kohler.

Then again I may be full of shit ! ;D
                            Doug, this is a liquid cooled engine, you can see the radiator hoses coming out the top of the motor. The radiator is under the seat, acting like a seat heater. Pretty swift! You are right about the Kioritz engine. It was designed by Deere and constructed in Japan by Kioritz.

The thing is an effing riot. I know it is a barge compared to modern equipment, but the smile is frozen on my face currently. My wife took video, I'll get it up later. It got it to go 55mph according to the speedo on the machine. That felt like the edge of death, even though it would have gone faster. :D
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I like the birdbath jackstand,you might be able to market them to other snowmobilers.

Comment

Working...
                              X