Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: Blower, Nitrous, or Turbocharger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: Blower, Nitrous, or Turbocharger?

Of course there are a few who still use Stromberg 48s and 97s, so nothing ever completely disappears. ;D

But things do change.

For example, it took less than a decade for flatheads to be subplanted by OHVs. Centrifugal superchargers went from a seldom-seen historical curiosity to a "major player" in even less time. Eaton-style mini-blowers have become much more common than hulking GMC -71 series puffers in the last ten years. Lysholm superchargers and high-helix Roots blowers became important bolt-on upgrades in a very abbreviated time frame. Electronic fuel injection went from "can't touch this" to Megasquirt III in less time than the average kid spends in public school.

Moreover, for several decades now, the leading edge of Bangshifting has been the pony-car class (Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds). That's not to say that other types of rods aren't being built. But the domestic aftermarket has long centered on these cars and their sheetmetal relatives (e.g. a Nova is merely a Camaro with a boxy body). These cars have been relatively cheap and readily available for over four decades.

And fads come and go. Since I've been around, I've seen many fads and trends rise and fall, such as T-buckets, street rods, "street freaks," pro-street, resto rods, Boydsters, billet, rat rods, Euro-tuner, pro-touring, restomods, fastest street car, iheads-up 10.5 racing, import tuner cars, neo-gassers.

So while there will always be some with the time, skills and bankroll to build a pro-streeter that would make Rick Dobbertin envious or a pro-touring car that would impress Mark Stielow, the center of the hobby is likely goiing to be based on whatever is cheap, and readily available. What the OEMs do greatly impacts this.

That doesn't mean that a fair number of lucky Bangshifters won't be building old school muscle and hot rods. It doesn't mean that there won't be a contingent who is willing to put up with the legal hassles, parts breakage and constant refilling expenses associated with nitrous. It doesn't mean that some diehards won't give up some efficiency and power for the visceral appeal of supercharging.

But when it all sorts out (as it always eventually does), the next generation of Bangshifters will be more likely to be working on a turbocharged OEM vehicle than a supercharged or nitroused one.

Comment

BTW jcharliem, doesn't a Volvo S40 have a turbo? (Not that anyone would EVER Bangshift one of those) ;D

Comment

Adding OEM parts for boost on a hot rod has been the thing for a long long time....GMC blowers, Paxton superchargers, industrial or other diesel turbos, etc.

They all work well, Brian's just a troll

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy ~The Pontificating Windbag
          BTW jcharliem, doesn't a Volvo S40 have a turbo? (Not that anyone would EVER Bangshift one of those) ;D
          Yap, my sled Volvo does have a turbo. Yet, I don't think anybody in their right mind will be 'hot rodding' it. Wait...I thought turbos were the future!! :-*
          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

nitrous
            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              They all work well, Brian's just a troll
              Discussion facilitator, sir!
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
              X