Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neato: Ilmore Engineering Develops 5-Stroke Concept Engine

Re: Neato: Ilmore Engineering Develops 5-Stroke Concept Engine

I remember hearing of a five-cycle built by Harvey Crane once upon a time. It had an injector that shot water at high pressure into the combustion chamber after the exhaust stroke, which would turn to steam, expand, and give a second power stroke. I'm guessing that it didn't work at all, or worked really well with corrosive results.

Comment

I don't think the CR is > 14:1, Brian.

The "secret" of this engine is that the expansion ratio is greater than the compression ratio (which is also done to a lesser extent in Atkinson and Miller cycle engines). Illmor's innovation is double-expanding the exhaust in the third "blow-down" cylinder (It's really a two-cylinder four-stroke engine with an added cylinder for the "5th stroke" extra expansion cycle.

From a loose conceptual standpoint, this isn't too much different from turbo compounding (an exhaust turbine mechanically linked to the engine output shaft, through which expansion extracts useable work from the waste gases). Turbo compounding was successfully used in large piston engine aircraft before the jet age stopped development. (See e.g. the Wright R-3350 Turbo Compound engine ( http://www.enginehistory.org/Wright/...ompounds.shtml) used in the Lockheed Constillation airliner.)

But using a piston "expander" rather than a turbine may have a tad wider range of operational efficiency. Even it not, it does eliminate the shaft reduction problem of turbo compounding (reduction of turbine r.p.m. down to low IC engine r.p.m.) and the associated geartrain losses.

As for Crane's steamer, dee dee, are you sure? I've heard of Bruce Crower's "Six Stroke" concept that uses post-combustion steam injection (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20060227/FREE/302270007) but I've not heard of a similar concept from Crane.

Crower's engine may be limited by a number of factors, not the least of which is that it's a "total loss" steamer (it would require a huge, heavy water tank unless some means to condense and recover the injected water without excessive exhaust backpressure is developed). Certainly bore corrosion could also be a limiting factor.

Comment

It would be interesting to see how the Illmor concept compares in efficiency to the emerging "electric turbo compounding" concept. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...6_deer_vuk.pdf

I suspect that although electric turbo compounding is initially more complex andexpensive, it would integrate well into the partial electrification of IC engines (electric hybrids, electric accessory drives, start-stop systems).

Comment

way too much thought..
          if the expansion chamber they are calling a cylinder is done correctly, there is no need for it...

and if I went 14.5 to one on just 1781cc... holy good god stand back.

these people are retarded and I would tell them so bluntly. >

put the big budget down and step away from engineering...
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Bring back Smokey's Hot Vapor mill!

I wish I had the resources to build a light weight car that ran on steam made hot with KingsFord charcoal, along with solar and thermal energy while in use, as well as parked, to keep the boiler temp up.

Also, I think this may be the future of cleaner power-

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
            X