X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Road Test: The 1971 AMC Javelin on Car and Track

Re: Vintage Road Test: The 1971 AMC Javelin on Car and Track

Well I must say, I'm underwhelmed.

This car has to have about the longest, fattest nose to shortest, most puckered arse ratio of any vehicle I've seen. Perhaps the Gremlin might give it some competition, but then a Gremiln is almost cute compared to this offering. This car has, as does the 1974 AMC Matador Coupe, what I like to call, "Unfortunate Styling".

But wait, there's more! Sloppy suspension, poor brakes, even by Bud's standards and a nasty case of under steer whipping into over steer at the touch of the throttle. They didn't mention the gas mileage, but I suspect it'd be in line with all the other attributes.

Yes I fully understand that this car will be 40 years old this year, and that technology has changed a lot in that time, but gee whiz, this car was running on out dated technology the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Did you notice though, that Bud always has plenty of good things to say about the cars he "tests" even if they are outright dogs? And how about that braking test? Stomp the brakes, lock the wheels and flat spot the tires. The test driver's square toed side-zip boots are a hoot! Things have sure changed.

Comment

Working...
    X