Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebay Find: Buy the World's First Funny Car......... Cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Find: Buy the World's First Funny Car......... Cheap!

Re: Ebay Find: Buy the World's First Funny Car......... Cheap!

Personally, for $2,000,000 I'd want Nix's or Johnson's sweat stains and some track ware to really feel like the old race car and piece of history that it is.

Comment

All the stuff I read in Hot Rod and other car mags when I was a kid back in the late 60's and early 70's basically said that Jack Chrisman invented the Funny Car. The MoPars were just part of the evolution - proto-funny cars.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

These were the first. The commercials were pretty cool with the chick in the shorts and whit go-go boots! Chrisman's Sachs and Sons '64 Comet came later that year. Jack's car was definitely the better sounding with the 427 cammer on a load of Nitro and the straight pipes out the back of the car ala Mooneyham and Sharp 554 Coupe! Jack had a lot of interest in this since he had just recovered from serious injuries in a dragster where the rearend had come loose. His injuries are what prompted the pinion support rule to become mandatory. Also, unfortunately it is where his pronounced limp came from when he walked. Hope this helps clear things up.

Comment

^^^^^ I'm on board with John.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Ive done a lot of research in this area, specifically Mopars in the early 60's. Drag racers of that era generally agree Mopar created the first funny cars (the Ram Charger team specifically). They have given a few interviews about how it started. Id check it out if you were interested. Mopars created a lot of the firsts back then. First tunnel ram intake, first funny car and many including myself, believe the first muscle cars. Go Check out H.A.M.B. and talk to the former racers and guys of the time to confirm this with the pictures to prove it.

Comment

my research shows that funny cars got cool only when jungle jim got behind the wheel

Comment

I think I could get one I could actually race for $2 million, a truck & trailer, few parts and a barrel of nitro.
                Probably make it to a few races too.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I think Jack Chrisman invented the "modern" Funny Car as we know it with the fliptop fiberglass body,Flopper.
                  Or more correctly was the first to run one.
                  The RamCharger Dodges (A/FX) were the first "funnycars" with their altered wheelbases.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the first flip top funny cars were the factory Mercury Cyclones. Logghe chassis and fiberglass fliptop bodies. They made their shakedown runs at Irwindale in. 'Dyno" Don Nicholson, Eddie Schartman, Chrisman, and I believe 2 others had the cars. Chrisman's was the only one Supercharged. He didn't build or design the cars. All factory since the Mopars were cleaning house. Can't remember the exact dates (brain cells are dead!), but after Jan. 1966 when I went in the Air Force. Didn't get my weekly Drag News in Biloxi, MS! If I am wrong, someone plase correct or fill in details. I'm depending on my memory for this info. (Remember, can't trust anyone over 30! or over twice that age for that matter!!) LOL!

Comment

Working...
                    X