Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Bonanza: Insane Firemen Drill Team Drag Race Ladder Climbing

Re: Video Bonanza: Insane Firemen Drill Team Drag Race Ladder Climbing

Are there any bangshifters that can tell us more about these competitions - and the vehicles they use? would make for an awesome story. I can't remember hearing, reading, or seeing these things anywhere before these youtube videos.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

ABC wide world of sports aired these 30 or 40years ago.they were great to watch.

Comment

looks neat!! lots of RPM's :D
        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

When I was researching a power steering conversion this summer for 71 C20 I bumbled into this on the 67-72 boards....
          A guy was on the boards looking for old Bias ply 8-19.5's for their 71 C30 drill competition truck.
          I kind of figured, "Huh, must have gotten dryrotted after all those years" Uh, no. No, that's not the case at all.
          Check out the guys vids. The truck is sweet and they use it too! These guys haul ass in everything they do.

Hey everyone, I am new to the board so please excuse me if this has been discussed before. I am in a Volunteer fire department on Long Island, NY. We have a 1971 C30 that has been setup to compete in the FD drill team competitions here.
          Our problem is that we have run out of the JTR tires that used for years and years, and we haven?t been able to find a match for them! We are looking for new or used JTR Premium Highway XMC Bias Ply Tires, Size 8-19.5.
          Our season has just begun and we are in desperate need of these specific tires, they were OEM on many of the C30 trucks from this time. If you can help in any way, even if you might know of a place that might have an old set lying around, please contact me ASAP at [email protected] or through this board.

Here are two videos of our truck in the contests that we use it for.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thanks a lot,

Chris Connell
          Lieutenant, Piston Knockers
          North Lindenhurst Fire Department [\quote]

Comment

Okay, the next vehicle on my list is a hot rodded F600 Ford ;D :P
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Born and raised on LI I wish I could say more, but I do remember going to these when I was maybe 5-6 years old, they had some bad ass vehicles. Those drill trucks would rival many a drag car. The only thing more fun than drunk firemen, is drunk firemen racing ;D
              sigpic

Comment

merkel and mcbetts motors on a lot of those trucks

Comment

I interviewed Jack several years ago for a gasser story. He still in business up in Ridgewood? His son Scott was(is?) a racer too.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Wow? It?s funny how things go full circle and come back to you. I am the guy , Chris Connell that was (and still am) looking for the JTR tires that was posted on the other message board. I am on the North Lindenhurst Piston Knockers racing team. While searching on google for any new leads I came across my posting on your board!

The whole Fire Department racing thing, as we do it anyway, is limited to New York State. Most of the teams that compete represent volunteer fire departments from Long Island, with a bunch also from Upstate NY as well. In a regular tournament we run 8 events, there are links below to show an example of each one! We compete against the other fire departments just about every weekend from the first Saturday in June until Labor Day. For the most part, we only complete for the pride that comes from winning, and to hold the trophies at the end of the day, there is no money to be won in our sport.

We have about 15 tournaments per summer, with the Major one being the New York State tournament that is help on the 3rd Saturday in August every year. At this tourney, we usually have about 50 teams entered from all over the state.

The trucks, each teams has 2. The first one, called the ?b truck?, is some kind of pickup truck chassis with a custom rear half on it. Most of use run big block Chevy engines that make around 700 or so horse power, a bad ass brake system and a small fire pump mounted in the middle.
                    The other is the ?C truck? is a complete custom race truck, most with a similar power plant as the B truck. However, this truck uses large (up to 16 inches) drag track tires on all 4 corners to accelerate and stop. This one can get up to about 75 MPH in 450 feet, with a driver and 4 guys hangin on the back step! Just watch and enjoy, I?ll post more if I see some interest!

North Lindenhurst PIston Knockers racing at the Hempstead invite on 8-7-2010

North Lindenhurst PIston Knockers racing at the Hempstead invite on 8-7-2010

Comment

jack is in clark, nj now
                      looks like todd went to work for joe gibbs , jobs don't last down south

Comment

thanks for posting , you think speed channel would tape some of these shows
                        the VFD in westchester is less hot rodders , more socializers
                        my grandfather was a member of a VFD from 1925-1996 , pretty cool

Comment

Working...
                        X