Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Originally posted by squirrel
    Originally posted by Tazracing
    HAVE U SEEN real rust down there..
    Yeah, I've seen it, we send those ones to the scrap metal place. You'd be crazy to want to fix a car with real "up north" rust when there are so many decent old cars around.

Guess I'm crazy...

I will take mechanical, or even electrical over rust repair any day of the week...but once I get my $hit together and get the rest of the stuff I need for the welder...maybe that will change...I enjoy welding, so....ask me again in about 6 months.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Mechanical is like a vacation. Rust is a challenge. Wiring is a nightmare.... unless you're starting from scratch, then it's just a challenge. It's strange, I can zone out and block sand for hours but chasing shorts and shitty ground connections is a different kind of patience I lack completely.
      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Fix mechanical gremlins for me. I simply have have very little bodywork experience and no welding experience. I'd love to learn to weld and the ADD perfectionist in me did like doing the little bodywork I have done though.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

I will take mechanical over rust any day of the week. But I don't mind fixing rust if it is on what I want. In order to get the chevelle of my dreams my budget says I will be starting with a shell somebody was too lazy to drag to the scraper.
          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Mechanical stuff is easy. Rust is easy if you can : (a)find new body panels, (b) afford to buy them! Then you still have to have the talent and tools to put it all together. If only somebody could invent an easy way to do the block sanding!

Comment

Originally posted by chryco63
              As a native rust-belter, I would definitely rather fix mechanical problems. Although, I do admire those guys who have the metal-working skillz -- it's rather impressive stuff.

I bought my Buick from a buddy of mine in Pittsburgh. He said it was rusty. Heh... to me, it's still pretty solid.
              me too..
              but then I resized waht rust is.. ven an invisible hadgasket physics can attack a belly or a quarter, strange metal in a fuel pumo can set off the catalyst to attack something else before the back of the car escape route

I learned to respect both. put bigger where bigger needs to go...not much gets smaller
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Fix the mechanical problems first. At least I can drive it instead of it being driveway art.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Mechanical. I can do the bolt on type of body work, but sanding and dent removal are not in my skill set yet.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                    Originally posted by Tazracing
                    HAVE U SEEN real rust down there..
                    Yeah, I've seen it, we send those ones to the scrap metal place. You'd be crazy to want to fix a car with real "up north" rust when there are so many decent old cars around.

no dissing the guys who spend the time and money it takes to save a scrap-yard-bound car from the crusher thus allowing there to remain a plentyful supply of cars for future generations.

In answer to the question.. both, but I always start with mechanical first... the way I'm wired, if I do the body, paint, interior then the motor I'll give up on the project before I ever get it driveable.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm not dissing those guys, just pointing out that they're crazy. More power to them...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                      X