Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Showing Chad's waggie kind of suggests the desired result, don't you think?

With the rat movement in full swing, getting it running is more important than making it rust-free.

I'm more of wrench-spinner than a sandpaper man (Paint & body is nasty work).

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Mechanical Stuff?

Mechanical fixes here ... but what's even more fun than the mechanical repairs? Blowing the junk up to get to the point where it needs fixin!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

As a native rust-belter, I would definitely rather fix mechanical problems. Although, I do admire those guys who have the metal-working skillz -- it's rather impressive stuff.

I bought my Buick from a buddy of mine in Pittsburgh. He said it was rusty. Heh... to me, it's still pretty solid.

Comment

I enjoy working on mechanical things. Taking them apart, putting them together, seeing how they work or why they aren't. I don't have much of an artistic eye so straight lines and smoothness don't come naturally to me at all. But I better start liking it if I want to start on the body work and paint on at least three cars.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I do both, and it's all a pain in the butt.....but which I'd rather do depends on my mood that week. It usually takes me a long time to get into doing bodywork. Fortunately most old cars around here aren't too bad, so rust repair is (relatively) minimal. My 61 belair is an exception, it took me a few years to get around to fixing the trunk, then a few years more to finally cut out the main floor that was rusted badly, and I still haven't put the new one in. I did fix the rocker and quarter on one side after 8 years, but the other side (which has a worse quarter) is still waiting patiently for me to get the urge. Then again, I haven't built the motor either....I did put in the rearend, but the engine parts have been sitting patiently on a cart for years.

So maybe it's a draw.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              I do both, and it's all a pain in the butt.....but which I'd rather do depends on my mood that week. It usually takes me a long time to get into doing bodywork. Fortunately most old cars around here aren't too bad, so rust repair is (relatively) minimal. My 61 belair is an exception, it took me a few years to get around to fixing the trunk, then a few years more to finally cut out the main floor that was rusted badly, and I still haven't put the new one in. I did fix the rocker and quarter on one side after 8 years, but the other side (which has a worse quarter) is still waiting patiently for me to get the urge. Then again, I haven't built the motor either....I did put in the rearend, but the engine parts have been sitting patiently on a cart for years.

So maybe it's a draw.
              HAVE U SEEN real rust down there..

I'l take mechanical over rust anyday,
              but body work over mechanical..

Comment

I would much rather repair mechanical things, so long as they aren't rusted together.

Most of all, I like those little "feel good" projects that come at the end of a project, the final touches as it were. Nothing beats the satisfaction of removing the stock engine computer and replacing it with a performance model, after having already changed injectors and gone through the nightmare of a parking lot exhaust system replacement. (gravel no less)

Comment

Definitely body. You can attack rust with saws grinders and welders. Mechanical, I end up busting stuff I need getting it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                    HAVE U SEEN real rust down there..
                    Yeah, I've seen it, we send those ones to the scrap metal place. You'd be crazy to want to fix a car with real "up north" rust when there are so many decent old cars around.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'd rather do mechanical stuff, nuts and bolts. Most rust repair requires welding which I haven't gotten around to learning. Electrical is probably my worst subject, I can hook up a car stereo but anything more is a real challenge.
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Mechanical stuff.

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: Would You Rather Repair Rust or Fix Busted Me

I'll swap axles, engines, build frames and modify clean sheet metal, but rust sucks. Its time consuming and you have to remove all the mechanical stuff first, pretty soon your down to a bare body and you keep finding more rust to fix. Throw in that I don't care to learn to paint because I hate the smell. Granted my main project was inspired by rust removal and involves a ton of body work I still hate it.

Comment

I despise working on rusty stuff. I have put floor pans in a friend's Nova and it sucked. I love mechanical stuff, taking what was broke and making it live again.
                            Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

This is a trick question for an upstate New Yorker like me because most all busted mechanical repairs involve ALOT of rust too.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
                              X