Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historic Video Bonanza: The Story of PT Boats - Giant Killing Hot Rods of the Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Video Bonanza: The Story of PT Boats - Giant Killing Hot Rods of the Water

Re: Historic Video Bonanza: The Story of PT Boats - Giant Killing Hot Rods of the Water

Oh! I like this subject!

Here in Canada we had much the same thing, not as many mind you, but the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) had a few "crash boats", vessels designed to rescue the pilot should a water landing happen. A few were based out of Vancouver and Victoria B.C.

70-foot High Speed Launches (HSLs) built by the Canadian Power Boat Co. from designs by British boat designer, Sir Hubert Scott-Paine, who designed a similar vessel for use by Britain in the English Channel. Six of these boats were built from African mahogany, powered by two Packard-built Rolls-Royce Merlin engines of 1350 h.p. each and capable of speeds up to 45 knots.

And of course, the German Kriegsmarine had their own version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iCm9...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7QW...eature=related

Comment

Re: Historic Video Bonanza: The Story of PT Boats - Giant Killing Hot Rods of the Water

All I know is that they're really tough. Have you ever tried to take them out in a game of Battleship? You can't even find them because they are only two pegs! :P
      Powertour off/on since 2002
      sigpic

Comment

These boats are bad ass....as were the sailors who manned them.

In Viet Nam the Navy had a boat called a PBR (Patrol Boat River)
        which was much like a PT boat.......those damn thing could make some
        rooster tails as well.
        I met a guy in Davisville who commanded one of 'em.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

after WW2 , the US Navy parked a moth ball fleet in the hudson river in peekskill , ny
          they sat there for years , I had just heard about it a few years ago , but was in the 50/s early 60s

Comment

after ww2 the navy just burned the pt boats to get rid of them

Comment

For years, there have been a pair of PT boat hulls rotting in one of the many miles of tributaries of the Sacramento River Delta. One looks to be complete. The other was missing it's deck house and pilot area last I saw it.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Are PT's cool?! Do fish swim? Can a bird fly? Is the Pope a Zen master?

Um...scratch that third one.

ANY item used to defend our freedom, whether used in either WW or at any other time in our Nations glorious history, is cool! Period.

Comment

Working...
                X