Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a Donk and a Rat Rod Had a Baby...The DonkRod

Re: If a Donk and a Rat Rod Had a Baby...The DonkRod

Dear gawd... a mixed metaphor gone horribly wrong!
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Baby? I don't know...I was thinking more along the lines of a miscarriage! This is wrong in so many ways!!

Comment

It looks like a roller-skate that someone left out in the rain.

Then again, I think most "rat rods look like roller-skates that someone.... I don't understand the trend.

Back in the day, when it was more important to get the car on the road than worry about that 5k worth of body and paint, sure it was acceptable to zip around town in your flat black, or as was more likely the case, your "primer brown and grey in spots" painted vehicle. Acceptable but not desirable. You hoped the cops would let you slide on the misaligned headlights and the crappy looking tires. In my day, ratrods or shall I say daily drivers were 4door Chevelle's, Mavericks, AMC Rebels etc. The t-bucket was in it's glory and we couldn't begin to touch one even if we pooled our money. We'd be embarrassed to admit we were in the car hobby and were satisfied with an unfinished car. Maybe we couldn't do anything about the situation, lack of money and all, but we tried.

Today, I don't think so. These cars are built to look "run down" on purpose. Some for big bucks. These aren't daily drivers for the most part, because daily drivers aren't "cool".

This is a great hobby. You can do what you like. But building a car on purpose to look like you don't have any money to build a car in the first place is as fake, fake, fake as that 24v-71 with it's fake fake fake blower setup.

Oh and the red wheels are the best part of this thing. Chip Foose specials painted flat red, with "worn out" whitewalls no less. :P

Comment

Wagon wheels!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Wheels look oddly like a modern interpretation of something you'd find on a traction engine:

I have no idea if he was deliberately going for an agricultural look or just ended up that way by accident.

Comment

I'm sure I'll be made a mockery of for saying but, I kinda like the heap. Just different looking enough I guess.

If the wheels were half the width with some skinny rubber, might make the whole package/look more appealing.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I was prepared to really hate this (after reading the comments on the forum). But then I looked at the photos.

It's really not "horrible" or "agricultural" or a "miscarriage" or some sort of donk-rod bastard child.

I'll agree that the wheels aren't the most attactive and the splotchy flat red doesn't help. The mixture of coil-overs and tiny disk brakes with "dubs" and some traditional elements is, at best, eclectic. The pavement-scraping stance and lack of rake seem both impractical and non-traditional. The velocity stacks and intake on the engine also seem to be a throwback to the '70s, not the early, "pure" days of rodding. And why didn't they touch up the whitewall paint?

But I'm not willing to go so far as to say that a rod can't run wide, large diameter wheels. It's a hard look to pull off . . . and this rod's not all that successful at it. But if those wheels were less "open," and there was some "rubber rake" and more attention to detail, I'm not sure that it wouldn't "work."

Sure, it's never going to be a period-correct reproduction, but most "rats" aren't. That's part of their rebellious nature.

Then again, designers often take inspiration from historic forms and modify them to better fit modern conditions. So if the "rules" are so tight to require only strictly historic details, innovation and diversity will be stifled.

Comment

Actually i kind of like it too, just different enough i guess....

I'm sure that it draws all kinds of comments where ever it goes.

Comment

I guess the owner got what he (or she) wanted.... to be noticed.... if the owner put on 50s wheels with dog dish hubcaps; it'd never been featured here.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't know if I like it...but I certainly do not hate it.

All I know for sure is that if you are currently being adored by the masses you are without a doubt doing something that was "cool" about 3 years ago. The media and consequently many enthusiasts out there are painfully behind on "what's hot" so perhaps this thing will be a trend setter in a few years. I think back 3-4 years about the controversy over flat paint and how the general consensus was that it was a "cheap" way of going about custom paint....I just got back from Barret Jackson and there was hardly a single vendor there that wasn't sporting a flat black car in their booth. Rat rods were also despised for the most part a few years ago. Now every cruise night you attend has some variation of the trend. So I give this guy credit for doing something that is at least causing debate. That's always a good sign for any build.

"They might be talking bad about it, but at least they're talking about it".
                      www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

I saw that on a local Oklahoma forum a month or so back and thought the same thing. I saw it and though that could be cool with some different wheels.

Comment

2 dreadful trends , married 4ever

Comment

I tried to not like it. It didn't work though. I'm not in love with it, and I wouldn't build a car like it, but it does have some cool factor!

Comment

It's not really bad per se - I just think it reminds me of vintage farm equipment. There's far worse things it could remind me of.

Comment

Working...
                              X