The Parting Shift: Working the Tree Mounted Shifter in a Sweet 1961 Galaxie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parting Shift: Working the Tree Mounted Shifter in a Sweet 1961 Galaxie

Re: The Parting Shift: Working the Tree Mounted Shifter in a Sweet 1961 Galaxie

there used to be a guy running a high 12 sec.
    dart with a 3 on the tree a few years back, at mokan

one guy had a mid 11 sec. nova with a auto column shifter
    he ran bracket 2 for years

COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Doesn't look odd to me at all, my daily ride is a 3 on the tree.

Comment

Cool old car. There's a reason we went to floor shifts in the day - the darn column linkage would get all wadded up from time to time and you had to get out and open the hood, determine what was bound up and smack it back into submission. But when it was working it was OK.

Now for a trip in the way-back machine. Anyone else drive a Metro? The move was this:
        1) Starting from N, pull back on the column shift lever with your palm toward you and roll your wrist toward you and down for first.
        2) For second, sort of unroll the movement into first, stop in N, then push the lever away and roll you wrist back and up into second.
        3) For third, grab the knob palm out and roll from 2 to 3 in an arc with the neutral apex as far from your body as possible.

Failure to follow this process resulted in a crawl under the car to untangle the British spaghetti either at the trans end or the base of the steering column. It took some time to learn these secrets.

Brother Dave had a Fiat with a 4 on the tree. He would have to reveal the secrets of it's operation as I had little experience behind the wheel.

Dan

Comment

Preachin' to the choir! Come springtime I hope to be making some of those noises with column-shift Chevelle.

Bitchin car.
          1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Sweet car - but no matter how old I get I will NEVER wear socks with sandals! ;D
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              Sweet car - but no matter how old I get I will NEVER wear socks with sandals! ;D
              :D

The dialogue reminded me of the movie Fargo.
              1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Three on the tree is what I learned to drive with. My mom had a 59 Ford wagon, with a 6 cyl, 3 on the tree with pull out overdrive. Poor old car hauled 6 kids with mom and dad everywhere. Since then I have had several column shifted cars and trucks, and kinda long for one on occasion! They were actually very smooth and easy to operate as long as the bushings were intact and they were lubed occasionally. Nice old Ford in the video!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  Add that hideous hawaiian shirt and we get a fashion victom. Ha.

Totally great car, but they could've remove the cardboard boxes from the floor for the interior shot.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Believe it or not, the chevelle was originally a 3 on the tree .... wonder if I could make it work with a 5 speed?
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                    X