• Show
Clear All

• eBay Find: A Hemi Powered 1971 Dodge Colt

Re: eBay Find: A Hemi Powered 1971 Dodge Colt

that is the right way to fill an engine compartment
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I think that perhaps there may be more meat in the rear than appears at first glance.

I get the feeling that the winter term of SDES (the School of Deathly Engine Swaps) is in full swing: First, E. J. Potter's video a couple of weeks ago; second, that lawn tractor with the SBF; third, this beast; and fourth, wasn't there an old Toyota or Nissan sleeper with a BBC posted a couple of months back? ;D

Comment

That would be awesome to pop the hood at a car show. With the hood down, you would never guess what was underneath. That is amazing.

Comment

I wonder how many times it'd spin if you just stomped the pedal in a parking lot? Would the torque roll it over?
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

With the exception of the goofy wiring hanging all over (he couldn't tuck it under the dash or at least zip-tie it together for a smoother appearance?) and the silly 10" steering wheel, it's quite an attractive package. Minimalist, but attractive.

Comment

And to think that one of these, a tan colored one with a much smaller 4 cylinder engine, was the family car from 1972 to 1986. It had been the dealer's wife's grocery getter for a few months. Sold as a "demo".

I learned to drive in one of these, took my dates out in one of these, and at age 17, once I had saved the money immediately graduated to a 1969 Buick Skylark, into which we promptly swapped a 455 from a Buick Riviera (1970) and a 3 speed turbo 400 with shift kit.... bigger wheels and tires, ... speeding tickets.... kenne bell headers.... glass packs.... excessive noise tickets....

The Colt (ours was badged as a plymouth cricket, but it was the same car) finally imploded when the shock tower on the driver's side collapsed while the car was in the driveway at my parent's home. The engine? 235,000 miles and only a head-gasket change. Mitsubishi quality. (timing chain, not belt) The transmission? Never once an oil change, and performed flawlessly. Engine and trans sold to kid down the street who had a similar car. Made back 350 dollars. Amazing considering my Dad only paid 2 grand for the car in the first place. In 1972.

In 1987 I was looking with friends at the then new Hyundai pony, a horrible car offered here in Canada for two years, priced between 5 and 7 thousand dollars. The salesman opened the hood, and here was the exact same style engine. A duplicate in every way.

Comment

Three words....

TORA!
                TORA!
                TORA!

Comment

This insane machine makes me smile . The hood up photo reminds me of Pamela Anderson in a little bikini top .

Comment

Working...
                  X