Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Road Trip You've Ever Been On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Road Trip You've Ever Been On?

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Road Trip You've Ever Been On?

Hmm...Still think that my Summer '09 trip was the best...raced, met quite a few people that trip, tattoo'd, and was at Bonneville for a grand total of north of 6,000 mi driven. Though, since 2000, all of my roadtrips have been enjoyable...PCH, Nevada 93, I-70, I-90 through Montana..
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Road Trip You've Ever Been On?

Mine had to be in January of 2006 when I loaded up the "Purple I" Hot Rod and towed to California and hung around out there for a week, did Donut Derelicts, Bob's Big Boy, 3 car shows in one day, a couple of cruise ins, a picture shoot, then hit a Scottsdale show on the way home. Other then that it was a boring week, I'm thinking real strongly about a repeat!

Comment

Without question, Drag Week 2005.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

When I got married, I inherited a large extended family based around Kansas City. My father in law also has some great farming/hunting land east of KC. This all adds up to my wife and I (Or for hunting trips, just myself) taking about one epic road trip per year on average to Missouri and back, and all points in between. Last year, it was the July 4th family get together, followed by camping, white water rafting, and vintage railroads in Colorado. The wife enjoyed this SO much that it's in this year's plan again (WIN!)

I really love the solo road trip too. I can pull over and photograph something if I feel like it. Or catch a bite or a nap.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            Without question, Drag Week 2005.
            Yeah,you're right, there'll never be another one like that!

Comment

Yeah, that was a freaking awesome week. I need to get my ass back out on another one!
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

5 day motorcycle trip on a new (at the time) CBR900RR with race compound tires with my brother and one of his buddies down the entire Blue Ridge Parkway from north to south, to Deals Gap and the surrounding roads for a day. Hands down most fun I've ever had on the street. Wore the tires, knee pucks and foot pegs out but nobody crashed, no tickets or jail

Comment

Boulder Colorado to Taos New Mexico taking two lane back roads all the way!

Comment

HAMB Drags 2007 in Joplin Missouri from Toronto Canada.

Started off in my 49' Fleetline, but the radiator took a dump after 3 hours on the road. Had to limp back to the shop (5 hours), and grab the little shop truck - an 85' S10 short bed, standard cab. Loaded up the truck, and went - only to run into the remains of a hurrican (maybe Ivan?) that tried to drown us through all of Michigan, and into Indiana. Stopped and napped in the truck for a few hours at one of those indiana rest stops where the sky turned green and we were woken by a state trooper, warning us of tornado's and that we should be on our way. So we drove the rest of the way in a single banzai run and ended up there about 28 hours after we left.

The drags were a blast, and the drive home had perfect weather.

Comment

I'd love to see some straight road, midwest, beyond indiana, headed for the hills...

for now my favorite trip is 15 years old, I bought a monte carlo SS, 1984, (that is "the" monte carlo SS ;) ) orignal, hitting at 100k on odom. little 14 inch rally wheels..

600 holley carb, spacer, full dauls, very mellow bellow. I did not realize it was going to be a favorite trip from bangor maine to maryland and back (one day).

80s mph sneekad up on me all the time, with a./c on.. I needed it that trip, wow... low tach, tall gears..the 305 HO did have an extra effort, very pleasant.

the only thing more casual, and less weight (which sucks) is my version of an older boxer engine, tall geared...never to replace the v8 however, physics playing nice on long rides is priceless.. not even worth a hot rod comparison.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Either Texas in a big rig when I was 13 with my brother, or Power Tour '05, or Florida with a friend in his Mustang.

"Uhmmm... I think those lights are gaining on us." Yeah... busted. :D
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Got to be me and Uncle Jay leaving at 1AM....headed for Lebanon Valley...dead of winter...in his 2wd Diesel Sub.....trying to beat a snow storm...get there....swap trannies with a guy in the closed dragway parking lot...and racing back away from the NY noreaster.... !!!! We stopped at Cracker Barrel at 4am.......I almost fell asleep in my eggs.....
                          As a side note the antique B&J tranny I scored went all the way to Fla to Big Daddy's museum.

Comment

It's hard to pick just one. I think my favorite has to be from 2005, I rode a Harley with a group for 4000km through New Zealand in 20 days. It was a great trip started on the North Island, city of Waikato and criss crossed down to take the ferry to the South Island to cover the majority of it. That country has some awesome winding roads through mountain passes and coastline drives that rivals California's & Oregon's Highway 1. I meet a great bunch of people, drank a lot of NZ beer, still think Speight's is one of the best beers ever. I have traveled with a couple I met there from Barcelona again after that trip, we rode Harleys through a good chunk of Spain, then they came to California later in the year and we went on a 15 day trip up the coast from Los Angeles to Seaside, OR, across the Columbia river, into Idaho, then Utah, AZ and to Las Vegas. Last year heading out to the Power Tour, I covered most of Route 66 all the way to Funk's Grove before heading toward Newton. I love road trips, Harley or Car, doesn't matter, just love the open road. ;D
                            Dannie
                            2010 Camaro SS
                            Long Haul 2010/2011
                            Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

I hope you guys are sitting down for this one .....

Mid december 1999 I just got a bunch of emails about a 61 chevy bel-air wagon I had posted on a popular site at the time called stationwagon.com. One particular email stood out from the rest as this guy wanted to buy my wagon for X amount of dollars (3 times what I paid for it) and wanted it before his new years party at his house which is north of oxnard california. We talked on teh phone a few times and come to find out we had mutial automotive related friends and stuck up a deal. I was to deliever the car to California driving from Houston TX but couldnt leave til after Christmas.

Christmas Day I head to my buddys shop to borrow the shops car trailer, my dad loans me his new F150 to tow said trailer and I swing by my buddies house to for a ride along companion and to help drive. By the time we do our family thing, load the car load our bags and hit the road its going on 5pm christmas day night.....

We head out going full bore cross texas which seams like its going to be just another boring trip ... yea right ... first stop for gas we top off and go inside to grab some snacks and drinks for the road and what is this we find on the atm inside the gas station, seems someone left thier cell phone - UH OH - 2 guys in thier late 20s, single, girlfriends at home - yea you do the math, 42 phone calls later to various friends around the country and a couple incoming calls asking if we found a cell phone and ALOT of joking the phone gets shut off after 12 hours - ANYWAYS - Back to the same gas station some hunters have pulled in gasing up thier trucks that are pulling little single axle travel trailers for thier hunting spot, and they start making comments bout my grandma car on the trailer, I blow these guys off since I could tell they have been drinking and didnt want to start anything with some rednecks that are half lit and carring around shotguns

Back on the road crusing along outside San Antonio we get passed by the same hunters in thier 4x4s and these guys are hauling ass - 2 trucks and 2 trailers, - the boring drive continues -

Bout 2 hours later we are going down a fairly steep grade in central texas and come up on a bunch of emergency lights in the road, seems those same hunters rolled thier trucks and trailers coming down the hill and scattered thier shit all over the road, Of coarse I slowed down to a crawl going thru the scene, rolled down the window and told the DPS officer what the guys had done earlier and that he should check them to see if theyve been drinking - yea i can be a dick some times

to be continued......
                              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                              X