X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitchin' Old Ad Video: The Wham-O Toys Bike Wheelie Bar Circa 1966

Re: Bitchin' Old Ad Video: The Wham-O Toys Bike Wheelie Bar Circa 1966

Awesome!

Don't forget to send in your $1.98 for the New Ed Roth T-shirt in Wild Colors!

Time Wasters...
    http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Oh, yeah - I wanted one real bad for my 3 speed Stingray!
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Bare feet ????
        No helmets????
        No padding????

Look out, here come the lawsuits.

Ohhhh, to yearn for the good old days. :
        sigpicJohn Castelli
        www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

I had a set of those back around 1971 or 72. Wish I kept 'em.

Probably the same folks that made lawn darts. ;D
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Just before my time, barely. The BMX era was a foot when I became a pedaller but, I always had a passion for banana seats and ape hanger bars. The rock back, pedal, and do a burn out must have been awesome.

I did have a wheelie wheel on my 83 Honda ATC 110, that Gramps found in the JC Whitney catalog, had the same effect, awesome wheelies, with a "small" element of safety added ;D

I soooooo wish Schwinn would re-pop some of their old Stingray, etc. style bikes.
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I soooooo wish Schwinn would re-pop some of their old Stingray, etc. style bikes.
              It's my understanding they recently did.

Comment

I went on Schwinn's site, this is the only "old" style stuff they had

Welcome to Schwinn! Since 1898 we've created the very best in bicycles and continue this legacy today.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I think they were making them around the time they sold the OCC thing (yuk) but I don't think they do anymore. Somewhere around 2004? They're all chinese now, another marque gone offshore. Sigh.

I can remember having to have Ashtabula forks - hell, at one time I bought a whole Ashtabula kit from the Schwinn dealer. That was about the time all the diamond back stuff started. I think I may still have a stingray frame, broke from riding a friend on the back "buddy pegs" and trash bashing a trashcan. I should get it brazed and see if I still have enough junk to put it back together. I'm pretty sure I still have a nice banana seat for it, and the original apehangers need rechroming, but I busted the non-stock 3 foot sissy bar years ago. Dangit...

The price on the Crate stuff these days is insane. I wouldn't pay 45.00 for one when I was a kid, they go for like 2k now? Craziness.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                    It's my understanding they recently did.
                    True, someone did, though I don't think it was Schwinn. Whomever it was took original Stingrays and converted them to the Krate with the 5-speed stick-shift, rear slick and all. $2K sounds about right for the chance to relive ones youth. Why is it that the only way to do so nowadays is to be stupid rich? What happened to the days of picking up a buddies cast-off bike or car for basically pocket change?

Yeah, I remember this ad and the item. Used to go straight to the toy and bike section at Miracle Mart, a local Peoria retailer that carried a vast and extremely varied assortment of consumables and hardware. I would gaze at all of the cool stuff, including the Wham-O Wheelie Bar, for as long as Dad would allow. There were times that I probably should have taken a Miles Cowperthwaite drool cup!

Thanks for the great memories, guys! Too bad you weren't alive during the golden age of advertising and consumables!

Hey, anyone remember "Six Finger"? It was a plastic toy that was molded in the shape of a finger and could shoot projectiles like little plastic bullets, missiles and the like. It was gripped between the thumb and fore finger and the trigger was activated by squeezing. "Six finger, six finger, man-alive, wonder how I ever got along with five?!" Cool stuff! What a great time to be a kid!

Comment

Yes, I do remember "Six Finger" from my youth.

Comment

Working...
                      X