Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lid, Can and Libel: A Tree Falls in Nathan Bedford's Forrest and the Mississippi Department of Motor Vehicles Gets an Earful

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lid, Can and Libel: A Tree Falls in Nathan Bedford's Forrest and the Mississippi Department of M

Cole, welcome aboard. I must admit this is my first exposure to your work. Your piece is an interesting read and had me scrambling for info on Rommel and Forrest. I will definitely be looking into your other works and keeping an eye on your column here. If your intention was to kick the hornets nest, you certainly have done that. Might want to make sure you don't get your foot lodged in it though. ;)

Your book has an interesting premise, especially considering the contrasting personalities of Rommel and Forrest. There is no doubt Forrest was a brilliant military strategist, but was particularly vicious on and off the battlefield - which was common in this era. Rommel was also a brilliant strategist and had studied Forrest and his tactics, but was also respected by his opponents (including Winston Churchill) for being a gentleman soldier - quite in contrast to the vast majority of German WWII leaders. As for the license plates, I could see honoring Forrest for his tactical brilliance, but his post-war activities in an American terrorist organization would seem to squash the idea, especially considering the significant amount of the current population of Mississippi that would have been targeted. Having spent the first 13 years of my life north of the Mason-Dixon line and almost 20 years south of it, I've learned there is a fine line between heritage and hate. This would seem to fall too close to the gray area for comfort. There are monuments a-plenty to Forrest, including a state park and a former WWII army base. State sanctioned license plates honoring him is a bit much.

Now we come to a sticking point. We have gone to great lengths to leave politics and religion at the door here on BangShift, and it has served us well. You are venturing towards the edge of that chasm, and sending many of us hurtling towards it. Please mind your step.

Brian, I trust your judgement and am interested to see where this goes. This is your house. Just remember it is also our home. This could be very interesting.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Re: Lid, Can and Libel: A Tree Falls in Nathan Bedford's Forrest and the Mississippi Department of M

To the rest of you knuckleheads yelling about politics and such, show me where this is political. And biginch, please tell me you are not trying to defend the Klan. From the very beginning they set about intimidating blacks and northerners from voting by any means necessary, up to and including killing. Is that something you really want to defend?
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Thackdaddy

“Leaving out of view every other consideration, he realized with exquisite delight, that he was resisting manfully the coercive force of other men, and was resolved to die rather than yield his liberty.”

Reading pages 10-15 of this same book, specifically the letter from Father to Son and relating it to the above quote, I conclude that the founders of our nation would have understood liberty as that described in Galatians chapter 5. To be honest, I have never once before thought of liberty in this way, I wonder if anyone in our age does…

Respectfully;

Thackdaddy

P.S. Tat

I don't think there is any form of liberty more pure than what you have described.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sport
          Originally posted by Thackdaddy

“Leaving out of view every other consideration, he realized with exquisite delight, that he was resisting manfully the coercive force of other men, and was resolved to die rather than yield his liberty.”

Reading pages 10-15 of this same book, specifically the letter from Father to Son and relating it to the above quote, I conclude that the founders of our nation would have understood liberty as that described in Galatians chapter 5. To be honest, I have never once before thought of liberty in this way, I wonder if anyone in our age does…

Respectfully;

Thackdaddy

P.S. Tat

I don't think there is any form of liberty more pure than what you have described.
          my constitutional law professor (Bond, James Bond) said what you said in his introduction to the constitution (in law school).

Brian, you've opened the can of worms - what say you? Personally, I'd love to start a synopsis of constitutional law and how our laws of our country originated in the Founding father's belief in the Biblical way of doing things. However, it's now your choice - car forum, political forum, religion forum? where are you headed with this? my 2 cents, your forum is unique in the abstinence from politics and religion and really does a great job of allowing guys to hang out who wouldn't normally hang out together.... however, add politics and religion in this mix and it will certainly change.... I don't think for the better.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There has been tremendously more content about politics and religion in the comments than there was in the column. It had a political tinge to it, but - seriously - somebody show me where this piece was political. Quote it for me, because I'm not seeing it.

PS: Buickguy, I'd love to sit down and shoot the shit with you about law, ethics, etc... Maybe in another place.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

We've had government and law related threads as they relate to car hobbiest before, but this one does nothing for the average car enthuiast.

W-e-l-l, besides asking the Government to support what most folks
              consider to be somewhat untenable,
              This is taking a side on an issue that really has nothing to do with cars. Has to do with free speech, personal taste, etc. but the thin link to the auto industry is because it's on a license plate. Might as well pick any number of sour political topics (Iraq, Afganistan, Abortion, Medicare, Taxes, etc) and just suggest to put them on a license plate to make ok for discussion here :

I "think" the point of the blog was about a road trip that two super-villians (me being dramatic) had in common, but it came off more to me about...... I'm not really sure, license plates? selling a book? ??? ??? Genuinely confused on the purpose of this one.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Really? That's what is setting everyone off? Huh.

The way I'm looking at it is this is an editorial or opinion column, like most magazines have. I could be completely wrong, but I'm willing to give it some time to see what this cat has to say. Editorial/opinion columns don't necessarily have to be about cars. The man is obviously a car guy given his credentials, he just went in a different direction this time. I distinctly remember reading some editorials in Hot Rod that had nothing to do with cars. One by Ro McGonagle (I think) that stands out was about how he was a better grandfather than a father.
                I don't know, maybe it's just that I can relate to the amusement of Confederate flags plastered on imported cars and trucks, and I agree with him on the whole license plate thing, but I liked it and honestly don't think it is more than mildly politicaly tinged. I've see much stronger politics in various signatures here. Honestly, this is making a mountain out of a molehill.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

So... who's up for a poll?
                  My guess it will be thumbs down for Mr. Coonce's first effort.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                    So... who's up for a poll?
                    My guess it will be thumbs down for Mr. Coonce's first effort.
                    I would, with politeness, say "Thumbs Down", because of the subject. It's nothing to do with cars, machinery, huge ships etc. I shall look forward to the next installment.

Comment

Comment

As usual, I'm in the minority. :
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

sorry teddy,,
                          can't blog this and not remove a rule from the forum..
                          because to have a thread on what Cole wrote WILL end up flowing into areas they don't allow here..
                          and for a first piece, should've been more on topic, of the boards "outline" and thats cars and racing..
                          not war and history

Comment

i have read it a few times and yeah i will wait and see what he does next month

Comment

Yep. Now it's political and religious. The reaction anyway, if not the original content. But same effect...
                              1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

if there's a poll about this contribution, then there damn well better be a poll where we can all vote to eliminate douchebags. Can think of two right now that need to drop off permanently.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X