Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Poll: Which BangShifty Weekend Assignment Would You Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Poll: Which BangShifty Weekend Assignment Would You Choose?

Re: BangShift Poll: Which BangShifty Weekend Assignment Would You Choose?

As much as the sounds, smells, and sites of nitro horsepower would be tempting, old junk races my palse, so, I'd have to hang with frick instead of frack lol.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Opportunities to see something crazy antique steam contraptions actually running don't come around too often. I'd take the Snow Movers festival. And out of the way diners, particularly if my wife was traveling along - she loves those.

Comment

I would venture to the snow machine venue without giving the matter a second thought. Here's why;

If I were to go to the WinterNationals in California, I know that I'd be one of a couple of thousand people in attendance, each with varying degrees of participation. I am not of Drag Racings elite and so would be treated just like the lowly spectator I am. My chances of getting into the nitty gritty of the event, of being able to talk to those competing of being able to see the entire event (drag racing is spread out over 1/4 mile, so you see the start or the finish) are almost nil. The high pressure performance driven world of drag-racing doesn't allow for much idle chatter, and I understand that. It's expensive to get in besides.

If I were to go to the Snow machine event, I'd be able to walk right up to the various machines on display, talk with the owners, find out how they work and so forth. Many an interesting conversation has been started at threshing derbies, tractor shows, car club events, vintage tugboat races, vintage boat shows etc. The average spectator is much more likely to feel at home. The last threshing fair I attended had a gate admission of 5 dollars, and the fellow collecting the money apologised saying it had only been two dollars the previous year, but the club was saving for a new boiler for their 1918 120hp Case steam tractor. I gave him a ten.

So Drag racing? Watch on TV.

Vintage machinery show? Go and have a look for yourself.

Comment

I chose the weekend in Maine.

Chad's gig, although fun, has a proximity problem. It is just waaaaaay too close to Graham Light.

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I would rather hang out with Lohnes, he made a pretty good pic with the Cash Diner we ate at last weekend, and as for chad, never trust a guy who uses a walk in shower :D
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

ya, maine sounds really fun..... :

id do anything to get out of this state for the winter

Comment

Chad pm me for my adress to send ticket, travel and lodging arrangements you have made for me ;D

Comment

I roll with Chad on this hands down...even with $9 Pinks hot dogs and $12 burritos. I was at the Winternationals last year and there was NOTHING like getting on the plane in Philly with 4' of snow on the ground and 6 hours later looking at palm trees. I'll take staring at Calvert's T-bolt or Private Ryan's Camaro over a snow plow anyday.

I lived the last 3 months with snow, I don't feel the need to celebrate it at a Winter festival. Although I do like old shit so I will however happily check out your pictures, Brian..... ;D

Like you said BangShift diversity!
                  Time Wasters...
                  http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

I really don't like snow ... or the nhra, so it's actually a toss up for me but since I can't vote for both or be in 2 places at once, The Lohnes trip gets my vote. If nothing else, I could drink Jameson with him and hopefully catch him saying and doing stupid stuff on camera!
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Been to the one in maine, years ago. while in boyscouts..
                      there is another one up in N.H. IIRC that has the old trolly's /buses /trains from the "T" and other mass transit

so I voted Chad..

Comment

I voted then saw the results and bangshifters are really disappointing me.

NHRA...?! Seriously...?!!!

I'd rather take the weekend and drive through the countryside in anywheresville, USA and look for old material needing a new home. The NHRA circus has ran its course and unless they move forward should end up the same joke of the motorsports world that NASCAR has become.

Bangshifters - you can do better than the modern-day NHRA debacle. I was a diehard fan and am still a competitior and even I don't follow the 'show' anymore. Oh, and this has nothing to do with 1,000ft racing. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                          Opportunities to see something crazy antique steam contraptions actually running don't come around too often. I'd take the Snow Movers festival. And out of the way diners, particularly if my wife was traveling along - she loves those.
                          My bride and I are with ya', brother! We're all about 'off-the-beaten-path'.

In fact, Brian, mind making a slight detour to Rumney, NH, and saying 'Hi' to my wife? She's been there for 6 weeks taking care of her mother since her father died on Jan 12th. If you need directions, lemme know, K?!

Comment

Working...
                          X