Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

coast guard cutter big by huge

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

Don't know how big it is, but one of these....

other than that, the 445 ci in my old F250
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

They wouldn't allow us into the engine room on the cruise ship I went on > So I'm capped with mining equipment.

The biggest one I've been in the room with is a Detroit V20, weighing in a 23590lbs, or only ~11.5 tons. :'( :P

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The biggest, period: GE90-77B on a Boeing 777

Worked on or around for more than a few hours: Lycoming T55-GA-712, Chinook helicopter

Operated: 440ci Mopar in a '76 Ramcharger

Bamfster: A civillian model 407 runs a Allison 250-C47. The version I worked on ran a Rolls-Royce 250-C30R/3.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

501 cube caddy.... I visited a container ship motor once - but we never hung out (I don't think it liked lawyers) :D
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
              Bamfster: A civillian model 407 runs a Allison 250-C47. The version I worked on ran a Rolls-Royce 250-C30R/3.
              How many cid is that?
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

If it doesn't have to be an internal combustion engine, than I spent many, many months over a three year period operating the (steam turbine) propulsion plant of this guy (which has a four-banger compared to the big-block V8s installed in newer subs):

For internal combustion engines, I visited a factory making (and running inside the building!) these:

According to wikipedia, it is the largest reciprocating engine in the world producing 109,000 hp out of 25,480 liters or 1.5M cubic inches!!!! (Had to apply the trusty 5.0 liters=302 cubic inches conversion burned into my brain when I was about 12

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                  Originally posted by Remy-Z
                  How many cid is that?
                  I've never measured a turbine in CID. Both engines are from the same family...the Kiowa Warrior's has about 625shp (shaft horsepower), the ghetto bird I think you referenced should be about 715shp.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I served on the USS Enterprise. 4 x shafts 280,000 shp (shaft horsepower). Do nuclear reactors count?
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I recall touring a WWII era carrier that had been preserved as a museum and getting to see the engine room - huge steam engine running off diesel oil. Wish I could remember the ship's name.

Comment

Meh. Just the little ole 545" BBF's from the Ranger and Mustang.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I guess I worked with a couple,
                          my favorite is a v12 in the p51.. saw chuck yaeger fly, I played crew cheif. starting throttling, flying, it sounds good no matter where it is. I am a lucky airman.

the jets for helping recover landings, military version...transient crew chief, all hours, all weather.. I must say I was not thrilled some of the time, regardless of planes.

stood inside a kc10 engine inspecting the rivets, that is as big as I have worked with...but approached the c5, c17, c141, b52, b2, f18, f16, f15, t38, kc135 a e and r...I wanna say t 37, a little leer jet looking thing.. (fast as heck)...and soe canadian stuff, some helicopters, c130..different variants of that too. Was working the ramp to hear and see some rarities along the way as well.. the b17, the concordes last flight passed through bangor.

then there is my dads rigs... 350 cummins, 425, spent part of a summer in the rare 444, 3406 and some different variants, I think it is C an E, 450, 550 hp...some with big stroke, some not so big, but always big.

the mack superliner, and the little mack 8..still big.

of course the biggest engine in the world is my 1781 cc boxer with three main bearings. ;D

I do have seventeen shattered teeth and unknown damages. Nothing to have too much pride about.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

An EMD 16-645 two stroke diesel (10,320 cubic inches) in a GP-38-2 locomotive. In the early 90's I got to ride with an engineer who was switching the Southern Pacific freight yard in Long beach Ca.
                            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

The largest engine I've been near? The very same one in the blog story from Owls Head. My wife and I honeymooned in Maine, in 1997, and that was one of the sites/museums we went to.

A very nice mix of cars, trucks, planes, boats, and a whole lot more. If any BANGshifters are ever on US RT1 in Maine, they owe it to themselves to check that place out. Just the engine display is worth it to a gearhead!

Someday I would like to see their summer show outside with WWI aircraft flying and such, that would be fun.
                              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
                              X