Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

Working in the oilfield business for the last 20 years, I've been around natural gas compressor stations that had anywhere from a few to more than a dozen engines with 6 to 16 cylinders. Some of them putting out 2500 hp or even more.Try working on one of them with a dozen more running 'balls to the wall' all around you. :D Earplugs mandatory. I've seen some them tore down for a rebuild, with pistons the size of a 55 gallon drum. :o

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Largest Engine You've Ever Hung Around With?

I spent a couple of months in a navy oiler engine room replacing piping while the engines were being overhauled. The mechanic said they were ( twin screw) Colt Piestick 10PC 4.2 V 570, V10 twin turbo diesel piston engines. He said they were the largest piston engines used in an American built ship. I never asked about displacement or hp rating but did get a pic of a rod and piston. That is a 25' tape measure in the piston pin bore and setting on the rod for size comparison.

It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Egads! :o
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

When I worked in the Forest Industry here in Western Coastal Canada, I was around plenty of 12v-71 and 92 and 16v-71 and 92 engines. Most of the 16v engines were in the tugboats and made about 800hp with twin turbos. There were 12v-92s in most of the off-road logging trucks, 12v-71s in most of the yarders, loaders etc.

I also worked in the Natural Gas Industry as a first aid attendant and second operating mechanic, where we had Ajax gas compressors. The largest I remember seeing had four cylinders, each the size of a 55 gallon drum. The exhaust was muffled by a series of mufflers, 1 per two cylinders, two stories high and the size of a water tower. The flywheel was 3800 pounds and 6 feet across. Top rpm was 450.

Now I drive a truck to earn the money with which I make my living. The Volvo I run has about 650 hp.

Comment

Working...
          X