Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Goliath Update: The Truck Gets Legalized and Then Heads to the Steel Surgeons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Goliath Update: The Truck Gets Legalized and Then Heads to the Steel Surgeons

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Know what the cool thing about it would be? Just looking at Goliath, not a damn soul in the world would expect it. ;)

Comment

Re: Project Goliath Update: The Truck Gets Legalized and Then Heads to the Steel Surgeons

Actually you raise an excellent point with that.

Tell ya what. I'll suffer this summer w/o it and see if I am driven to upgrade next fall/winter.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If you do run ac, you gotta scrounge an original in dash setup, and tell folks the truck was originally ordered with it.

They're very scarce in pickups, but lots of suburbans had them. I've owned two.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

One of my favorite parts of the truck is how spartan the dash is.

Hell, the truck doesn't even have heater controls, just a knob you turn that causes the motor to make a squealing noise.

There's this knob/handle deal under the dash that you flip up for defrost and down for "vent". Next winter I was going to pull the heater core/blower assy off, fix the ducting and actually make it work. I just think it is funny that other than the knob, there are no other controls.

There's an old Mico Lever-Lock on the dash too, but that has been disabled. Those things are pretty dangerous. For those of you guys who don't know what it is, think of a line lock, that instead of activating by pushing a button, you move a handle to close the valve that maintains the pressure, holding the brakes on. My dad almost got sqashed by a fork truck that had one on it, which malfunctioned.

Brian

Comment

There were a couple different heaters used in those trucks, you might have a recirculating heater, or more likely the knob also pulls out to open the fresh air vent. I guess I could look at pics and figure out which one it is. Or maybe someone replaced the original control with an aftermarket fan switch.

my 57 one ton has the heater control block off plate in it, with no holes for the "cheap" heater control switch. Although there are a few extra sets of hose holes on the firewall where some kind of aftermarket heaters had been installed over the years.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

The knob has the letter W on it. It seems to be a two speed fan because it howls in one position and screams in the next.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                If you do run ac, you gotta scrounge an original in dash setup, and tell folks the truck was originally ordered with it.

They're very scarce in pickups, but lots of suburbans had them. I've owned two.
                I was thinking of an under-dash unit like this one...

But squirrel does raise an excellent point about an in dash setup. Would the dash out of a Suburban bolt in, or can the original dash be modified? I ask because I've never seen one in an old Suburban before.

Comment

The only mod to the dash is that there's a big hole cut in the place where the ash tray used to be, and the controls are different. They made different control versions for them, the 64 I had used 3 pull knobs, the 66 had the deluxe heater type control with slight differences.

There's also a big hole hacked into the firewall.

For underdash air, try to find a Chevy "coolpack" add on ac unit.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

You drove that thing with floorboards like that in it? Then again, I drove a 1968 Impala with floorboards so bad you could hide a case of beer on the ground at the Drive-in when the usherette scooted by on her electric whatchamacallit. She used to peer in the cars looking for "improper conduct", and that could get you the boot. So, the floor mat and plywood were pulled aside, and the case sat on the ground.

I still got the boot a few times, but I swear, it was my girlfriend's fault. She was.... well, let's just say she was indeed!

Comment

Working...
                    X