Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Sounding Internal Combustion Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Sounding Internal Combustion Engine?

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Sounding Internal Combustion Engine?

The best sound in the world was Jim Hall accelerating out of a turn driving a big block Chevy powered Chaparral racecar.

Comment

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Best Sounding Internal Combustion Engine?

Best sounding?

It's my 502 BBC/6-71 when it's pulling the C1BAD66 Malibu through the 1/4- mile beams at ~135 MPH!

Comment

Allison V12..idle or any RPM!

Barry

Comment

I love the sound of my blown big block but I go back to 1960. The mechanic at my Dad's gas station. Riding in his 57 Chevy screaming with a cammed up small block banging through the gears while I was hanging on molded my drag racing and muscle car obsession that I still enjoy today.

Comment

Near the top of my list is the sound of 33 front engined Indy cars heading for turn one on lap one.

One that moved to the very top last Oct. was the Dave Davidson fuel roadster at the 3 mile mark at Bonneville, 300 MPH plus.

DW

Comment

In a car, 289 SBF being thrashed on a road course.

But the top of my list is an uncorked rolls-royce merlin under full song.

Comment

Originally posted by warner
                Near the top of my list is the sound of 33 front engined Indy cars heading for turn one on lap one.

One that moved to the very top last Oct. was the Dave Davidson fuel roadster at the 3 mile mark at Bonneville, 300 MPH plus.
                x2 on the indycar noise. Engine noise, plus tire noise, is awesome at the entrance to turn one on the first lap of racing!

And I didn't get to hear Dave's roadster on the salt, but I spent plenty of time with the guys when they were putting it together last year - and I should see Dave tomorrow as I am headed to ProMachine for a weekend of dyno thrashing!

(FYI, dave blew out BOTH of his eardrums in the #911 car - "Anything for a record" he said. lol)
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  Originally posted by warner

x2 on the indycar noise. Engine noise, plus tire noise, is awesome at the entrance to turn one on the first lap of racing!

And I didn't get to hear Dave's roadster on the salt, but I spent plenty of time with the guys when they were putting it together last year - and I should see Dave tomorrow as I am headed to ProMachine for a weekend of dyno thrashing!

(FYI, dave blew out BOTH of his eardrums in the #911 car - "Anything for a record" he said. lol)
                  X2...

I've never been that close to a Nitro car when it fired, Wow. The other one that it brings to mind, although a bit lower on the magnitude scale was the 300" hemi he had on the pump. When it switched over from propane to Nitro, what an awesome cackling sound. Purr to "do you harm" in an instant.

Comment

Some good sounding engines here

Short video I put together from the 2009 Truck Rodeo in Notre Dame Du Nord, Quebec.
                    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by in2ford
                      Allison V12..idle or any RPM!

Barry
                      always incredible.

I like all the 12s, gas carbed downdraft.. iunjection has a dud, only pro ears seem to notice.

a good post to add the v8 diesel, big or small. 4 stroke.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

180* flat crank top fuel motor. Closest thing to God's hot rod I've heard.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

A Mack engine just started on a very cold morning.

Comment

It's hard to put a finger on the best sounding motor, there so many

Near the top of the list the two stroke Detroit, the 6 71 in particular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vV0gGHWuwU

Another good one is the V12 Jag motor, here is one racing at Bathurst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I7GWllPFY

My love for the V12 sound comes from a mate who had a V12 Jag motor in a ski boat, that thing sounded like someone was ripping papper, an awesome noise coming at you up the river :P :P :P
                            Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

I don't think there's a single engine with the best sound but the coolest ones in this order.

1. Any roots supercharged gas engine running through the gears with the shift points right at the power peak and peaking right at the lights especially if you are standing at the lights to hear the whole run.

2. Any stock Olds engine at a warm idle at about 450 rpm.. the smoothest just a slow easy wug wug wug.

3. Ford Cleveland 4V engine at the lights, they have a very specific sound as though they are just grabbing for more.

4. Chrysler 318's in the burn out area. I dunno why but even if it's a 20 second car, the crackle of the exhaust,
                              sounds like the car will run in the 10's.

5. Roller cammed big block Chevy in the burnout area, smooth quick easy rev, a very specific sound.

6. Early 90's Mistubishi Eclipse turbo goin through the lights, they always seem to sound as though they are just
                              loafing even on a 11 second run.

7. Buick GN turbo same as the Mitsubishi.

8. R2800 Radial engine at idle .. rumpity rumpity rump.

9. Bristol sleeve valve radial engine running up.

10. Ford Flathead goin through the lights, very specific missing pulse sound. Hey !! That's a flathead !!! Cool !!!.

11. Small block Chevy at idle with a 350 horse 327 cam idling as low as it can without stalling.

12. Shovel head Harley at low idle with the timing advanced.

Dang... i just realised, I don't have a favorite.

Comment

Working...
                              X