BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Worst Car You Have Ever Owned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Worst Car You Have Ever Owned

I've only owned one car, a free '75 Buick Century. I'm a light truck kinda guy and I hate my '93 Dodge Ram. The diesel and axles are great, all the parts built by Dodge suck. The doors don't line up, open on their own, all the sheet metal is tinny. The tailgate is crap and it dosen't even have any dents and whats up with the adaptor between the frame and the steering box? Failure prone.

Comment

1998 Malibu. My mom gave it to us, it was still no bargain. CV axles twice, cam and lifters, strut bearing plates, A/C compressor, injectors, fuel pump, brakes 4 times, power windows and seats quit working, stereo, all this before 80,000 miles. And it still had a mysterious hesitation that no one ever figured out.

Comment

Toyota Tacoma.... but you all know that story and I'm tired of retelling...

2nd worse actually 2nd through 13,000th worse - Ford Tempo.

I worked at an now bankrupt auto rental company. Ford kept begging us to buy their cars, we started with K-cars and while those thing were junktastic for our company (cheap, throw away), we'd moved to such illustrious cars like the pontiac 6000, corsica, cavaliers - indestructible cars, really.... but Ford kept wanting a piece of that pie - so we finally took them up on a deal for 13,000 Ford Tempos (1990). They were actually dollar for dollar cheaper then the K-cars - so it was a "no brainer" for us.... right.

Every single one of those cars blew a fuel pump out (in-tank, dealer-only, 450+ repair bill), from 12368 miles to 14,100 miles. No warning, just car would stop and not restart. I have no idea how many irrate phone calls I got for that car - but I still say it - it wasn't my fault!!!!!! anyway, eventually we got Ford to pay us back for the fuel pumps - which created this huge windfall for the company's 7 owners .... who realized that with the windfall they were multi-millionaires who never needed to work again - so they declared a dividend; then shortly (after the bankrupcy rules allowed) bankrupted what was left of the company.... and I was unemployed. thanks ford >

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

1974 Maverick four door. :-[

Comment

Hands down ultimate winner. This isn't an actual pic (I'll change it later) but damn close. Traded my '78 Lebaron coupe for it, and in the 13 months I owned it, I had the following:

Sugared tank when I was supposed to take it off the lot. One month to replace system.
            Four times it wouldn't start, acted fuel-starved.
            Taillights quit working.
            Windshield wipers quit working.
            Throttle stuck. Twice.
            Water pump grenaded. I didn't think that was possible...not a crack, exploded...it took out the radiator with it.
            Transmission shifted into Reverse on it's own. I was doing 75-ish MPH at the moment.
            Left front spindle broke in two places, right front in five.

Traded it for a 2001 Ram like that.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

1977 Olds Delta 88....owned it in 1988....got it from my mom.....that car was GM's Frankenstein.... It had a metric trans....200 something POS....and a Buick 350 engine...FROM THE FACTORY !!!.....I remember my mom taking in it for service and the mechanic telling her too bad you didnt get one with a 35o Chevy and Turbo 350...they were better....WTF...how many mis-match motors did GM slap in these?......the interior wasnt much better....headliner shreaded instantly one day when i rolled down the window at 65mph....car was a total hunk....sold it to a field laborer who drove it under a semi 2 weeks later.....CHP determined throttle stuck.
              The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Toss up.

'85 S-10 blazer OR '86 Hyundai Excel.

The blazer's screamin' wimpy 4-cyl went through two heads and a timing chain (all separate occasions), rotted apart, and had really nifty Z-28 rims on it. And it rattled like a mofo.

It probably woulda lasted longer if I hadn't mercilessly hammered on it everyday while in high school. (until it died)

The Hyundai?

Hmmmm.... some numbers:

76 -- pumpkins that will fit into it (back seat and trunk) while out raisin' hell the night before halloween junior year
                22 -- air fresheners it takes to get rid of pumpkin smell.
                102 -- speed that it will go, downhill, with a 40mph tailwind in the rain, with 5 passengers
                2 -- valves that burned up (first time)
                3 -- valves that burned up (second time)
                4 -- number of times it got me pulled over for speeding
                2 -- number of tickets I got
                2 -- number of times it got me pulled over for a broken taillight.
                1 -- number of times my sister took out the taillight by side-swiping a telephone pole
                4 -- trips to the parts store for Bondo to fix (relatively speaking) the fender holding that taillight
                8,792 -- missed shifts
                1 -- broken seat (from the bucking induced by me thinking I could teach my girlfriend how to drive a stick)
                2 -- timing chains (that let go---one of which I blamed on the girlfriend)
                1 -- smoked clutch (DEFINITELY blamed that one on the girlfriend)
                1 -- # of times my MOM drove it 5 miles with no oil whatsoever
                1 -- # of times the engine locked up while coasting into the gas station
                1 -- # of times I used it to T-bone a nice Iroc Z-28. Oops.
                Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

96 Audi A4. Total POS.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Worst car I ever owned was a Vega wagon. Don't remember the year. What a POS!
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

1987 XJ6. Things going wrong all the time. Converted it in 97 to a Chevy 350/350 and is still running today.

Comment

it would have to be the low milage 1995 Grand Caravan only had 45,000 miles on it and had the good engine the 3.8L chrysler v6 but in the 4 months i owned it

both front wheel barring went out
                        one lower control arm snapped in half
                        transmission granaded took out the oil pan
                        second transmission would randomly drop to limp mode for no reason (it had 10,000 miles on it)
                        driver door would not latch wouth out messing with it for hrs
                        radio would randomly work when ever it felt like
                        the rear gate warning would go off over the smallest of bumps
                        would kill the battery if not run for at least 18hrs
                        water pump seized taking out the belt and denting the hood

sold it a week later for a profit lol

Comment

I have owned some crappy ones...it was a toss up between my 91 Chevy Suburban and the 81 Fiat Spyder 2000...

The Spyder wins I think, there were rarely parts to be had for the damn thing and when there were, they were god awful expensive. 400 bucks for a fuel pump, 1200 bucks for a computer 250 for a damn clutch...I did not put any money in it, the prices for the repairs could not be justified.

It was however, the most fun to drive out of all my cars (when it ran).
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That's easy

1966 Corvair

Tried to drive it from Davisville, RI, when I
                            got discharged from the Navy late '69, to Perryville, MO

Drove three days.......one new alternator, one new
                            battery, one new voltage regulator........and it finally
                            blew in Terre Haute, IN

Every now and then I'll stop by the exit when I go
                            to Indy
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

For me it was a Chevy Monza.
                              It EXPLODED one day on me. Yes, that's right exploded.
                              It was such a piece of crap, it committed suicide.
                              sigpicJohn Castelli
                              www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

93 Chevy Cavalier-total turd.

Comment

Working...
                                X