Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift Question of the Day: What's the Worst Car You Have Ever Owned

2001 Grand Am 3.4 2 door
    coolant leaks , bad lifter ticking, bad fuel pump , both front window motors , numerous brake pads

Comment

Hands down, the 1986 Nissan Pulsar I let my wife talk me into buying when we first got married. My first mistake was buying it from one of those "auto brokers" near the base. No, that would've been my second mistake. My first mistake was letting my wife talk me into it in the first place. It seemed like every time I turned around, the damn thing would break something. The real bitch was when it lost first, fifth, and reverse gear on the way to WV one weekend. Fortunately, a friend of mine has an auto repair business back home. I took the transaxle out, inspected the gears, and determined that the syncros were shot. I bought new syncros and replaced them. Transaxle worked great...for about 500 more miles. I sold it right after that. I almost felt sorry for the poor bastard I sold it to.

Comment

1988 Chev Celebrity -- I thanked my teenage daughter for wrecking that piece of crap. Haven't gone back to GM for a DD since.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

'05 Hyundai Elantra - came with the wife. I HATE this car. Ugly, slow, uncomfortable kitchen appliance with wheels and there are no mods that you can do to it.

Comment

Whoa. Lots of GM products here.... lol

I honestly do not think any of the cars I have owned were particularly bad. I kinda wish I still had some of them though.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

1980 Ford Fiesta, not Festiva, Fiesta. It could have been a neat car, but for a 17 year old in rural Tennessee it sucked. It would quit running whenever it felt like it needed a break. Heavy traffic, on a date where ever it would just quit running.

And it was Biege. Pic is not of my car.

90something Dodge Neon. Ok this was my wife's car, her dad gave it to her as a college graduation gift. After we got married it became my car as well. This car had electrical problems from the start, it was fun to drive at night because you'd never know when the lights would turn off.
              Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

1998 Dodge Intrepid I bought in 99. I liked the car but it was and engineering flop. the 2.7 v6 engine had a design flaw in the oiling and were giving up at around 75,000 miles some as low as 20,000 miles. the water pump went out at 70,000 and it is inside the engine chain driven off the timing chain. I was able to get the new pump but could not get the timing chain off (DOHC) dealer only tools at the time. I took the pump and car to the dealer torn down except the timing chain with pump and gaskets and was charged $735.00 to put it back together. also during the time I owned it I replaced the radiator twice. fans once and several other overpriced parts. although there was evidence that Chrysler Knew there was a problem with the 2.7 engine and hundreds of complaints filed there was never a recall just a service bulletin saying that if the oil was not changed at least every 3,000 miles that there was a risk of bearing failure

. also left rear kept cupping the tires and would start to sound like a bad bearing I replaced several parts and had it to a couple alignment shop and could never find the cause.
                It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

I've had a few cars that should be junk but they treated me well, an Opel (the Isuzu kind) a few Honda's, a Citation, Monza....But probably the worst one was a '74 camaro. The throttle stuck on me a few times and almost killed me. The passenger door poped open while I was making a left and let my friend out. I went to start it one day and the starter kept going after I turned the key back, so I opened the hood and tried to rip the battery cable off and burnt my hand.
                  I ended up selling it to some kid that never transfered the title and commited some crimes in it then abandoned it at the airport parking lot. So it haunted me long after I thought I was done with it.
                  I think I recorded a record 7 tickets in 5 days with that thing too. I get the shivers just thinking about it now....Thanks!
                  Originally posted by TC
                  also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

My 1985 Volkswagen GTI, but that's what I get for buying the "new" model the first year out. I did love that car at first after driving a clapped out '73 Torino. My biggest mistake was opting for the dealer installed A/C, nothing but problems and soon quit working all together. Other goodies were $200 alternators, $300 fuel pumps. I did get 12 years and 160,000 miles out of it. I finally sold it to a local wholesaler in 1997 for $800 and bought the blue Montego, which I still have ;D
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

a 1976 Chevy LUV, way to small and all too deicate.

Comment

Originally posted by 64falconsix
                        1998 Dodge Intrepid I bought in 99. I liked the car but it was and engineering flop. the 2.7 v6 engine had a design flaw in the oiling and were giving up at around 75,000 miles some as low as 20,000 miles. the water pump went out at 70,000 and it is inside the engine chain driven off the timing chain. I was able to get the new pump but could not get the timing chain off (DOHC) dealer only tools at the time. I took the pump and car to the dealer torn down except the timing chain with pump and gaskets and was charged $735.00 to put it back together. also during the time I owned it I replaced the radiator twice. fans once and several other overpriced parts. although there was evidence that Chrysler Knew there was a problem with the 2.7 engine and hundreds of complaints filed there was never a recall just a service bulletin saying that if the oil was not changed at least every 3,000 miles that there was a risk of bearing failure

Ah yeah, I had a 99, with many of the same problems...the engine was replaced at 45K under warranty...and I changed the oil every 3K...the new engine started rapping about 30K later...what a POS that car was but still was not as bad as the Fiat I had...
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Without a doubt, anything based on the GM X-body platform. Chevy Citation, Oldsmobile Omega, Buick Skylark & Pontiac Phoenix. The begining of the end for General Motors. Powered by the hunk of crap "Iron Duke" (Iron Puke). This engine sounded like ball bearings in a blender. Heck a blender had more power! I bought an 1981 Olsmobile Omega. Granted it was used but only had about 60k on it when I got it in 1987. I soon discover the total insanity of General Motors design thoughts during this era. An odd "computer feedback" carb that refused to run right. Mechanicals that required the removal of several non related components in order to gain access to another. The braking on this car was its most dangerous trait and also noted in law suits. If you want to know why the Japanese automakes became the standard, just look at GM products of the time.

Comment

My first was my worst...350-buck '55 Bel Air Sport Coupe 283 3-spd...flat cam, rats nesting in the wiring, enough bondo to sell the car as a ceramic class project, a primeval Hurst shifter that put the capital "M" in Mystery Shifter, exhaust that separated from the manifold biscuit every time rpms went over 3-grand...got another hour?

The car brand I've heard a lifetime of horror stories about is SUBARU...by far!! Interference engines, timing belt nightmares, pencil-stick axles w/puny c/v joints, tickie-tickie-tickie valvetrains, notchy transmissions, and pitiful MPG to boot.

The early Dodge(y) Caravans w/the Mitsu engine, K-cars, Renaults, Fiats, Jeep Cherokees, Peugeots...what a waste of 4 tires!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
                              Whoa. Lots of GM products here.... lol

I honestly do not think any of the cars I have owned were particularly bad. I kinda wish I still had some of them though.
                              The GM that broke my spirit and made me burn my bowtie - '86 C10 305 4bbl , pure d. shit right out of the box. In GM's defense, when I finally gave up and took that p.o.s. to the dealer they did warrant carb overhaul, needle changes, and told me they recurved the dizzy. 43k miles on it, 2 years old, and they knew exactly what was wrong with it. They did it under warranty although it only had 12k drivetrain warranty based on a pissed off red head kid in their dealership informing them it would be the last new GM he ever bought.

I was so used to it stalling and bogging that when I got it back from them and left the dealership, I just floored it and prayed like normal. It ripped off about half a block of rubber and damn near got sideways. I was so happy it finally ran decent that I sold it within a month.

:'(

I still want a gen 2 camarobird kinda.

Comment

wait you got a 305 to lay rubber :D

Comment

Working...
                                X