No announcement yet.

What it Looks Like When a 4700ci Caterpillar Mining Dump Truck Engine Explodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it Looks Like When a 4700ci Caterpillar Mining Dump Truck Engine Explodes

We received a tip e-mail from BangShift reader John Rasmussen that contained a series of photos that literally stopped us in our tracks. The photos, according to the text in the e-mail show a Caterpillar 793 mining dump truck with a very, and we mean, very, blown up motor. As the story goes, the truck [...]

More...

Wow, I've never seen one that blown up

The crazy thing about these and the amount of HP each cylinder is pushing, when one or a couple cylinders start going catastrophic, there is enough HP being pushed out by the remaining cylinders to keep the bad boy running and sawing itself up. I've seen a few windowed, broken, and sawed blocks in our shop, but not one of that caliber!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Wow....
      I didn't see anything that could be used again. I bet that made a thud!
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
        Wow....
        I didn't see anything that could be used again. I bet that made a thud!
        I imagine that it was less of a singular "thud" and more like Ice Cubes meeting the blades of a Giant Blender
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yeah, I was still thinking about that after I replyed. You're probably right!
          That would have made a cool video.
          Originally posted by TC

Comment

John Rasmussen?

John, do you work for ADC/TE Connectivity?

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I was thinking about this, your weight estimate could be a couple hundred thousand pounds low.

We run our 793's up to 280-285 tons payload. The truck itself weighs in between 240-250 tons.

So heavy case scenario, 285 tons, aka 570,000 pounds, 250 ton truck, aka 500,000 pounds, for a whopping 1,070,000 pounds!

I've always said, "What does 2,500 horsepower get you? About 8 mph when you weigh a million pounds and climbing a 10% grade!" Our sorry mine locks out 6th gear, and governs them to 25mph. Ungoverned and with 6th gear they'll cook along at 45+ mph on level ground.

Comment

I bet things could go wrong pretty fast at 45+ mph in one of those things.
                Originally posted by TC

Comment

If he was in 6th gear, he was haulin over 25mph at least.
                  Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 7, 2012, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X