Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift New Car Review: The 2012 Buick Regal GS [w/video]

(Photos by Dave Nutting) – Buick fans, it

I was wondering why we weren't getting updates on the 9C1....

SBG's analysis. FWD.... next. I'm sorry, but anyone who compares their car to a BMW or an Audi and only has a fwd option needs to get a marketplace lesson. You can only imagine the ripping you'd get at the water cooler comparing your new Buick to your buddy's new BMW. As for Audis - the only ones people talk about are AWD, so to compare your fwd car to an awd car is an invitation to getting your car spanked on an open track day. FWD is not the same, and GM shame on you for not using the Cadillac platform and giving us a true BMW contender. There is a place in the market for something a little less expensive than a BMW or a Cadillac but nicer and different than a Chevrolet.

So no, they haven't built a real Buick since 1987. This one is simply a Malibu that's been badge engineered.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A Buick with no automatic transmission option? Any farmers reporting a herd of pigs suddenly flew away lately?

Too bad they nixed the AWD option, and I'm not too keen on the styling myself. But it's good to see Buick take a serious, we mean it sort of stab at a sports sedan.

On a related note, I've been wondering what a mid '90s Regal could have done if the 3800 was turned 90 degrees, drove the rear wheels, and had the blower replaced by a turbo. They're interesting as a styling exercise, but RWD would have been a lot better...

Comment

SBG...the new Cadillac ATS is a RWD sedan aimed right at the BMW. Oh, and the 9C1 is coming home in a couple of weeks. I am doing the sensible thing and figuring out ways to make the ride home more complex and adventurous than it needs to be.

Matt, there are rumors that the AWD/Turbo 6 model will appear in 2013/14 as a Grand National. Fingers crossed on that one!
        Last edited by Brian Lohnes; February 17, 2012, 03:57 PM.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I know the ATS is rwd - it's I wish the Buick you reviewed was on that platform.

I agree with Matt, the sting would be lessened if that car was awd - but thanks for getting my hopes up Brian... I'm sure it'll be dashed again

Comment

I aim to please.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I liked the write up. Pretty entertaining, bonus it was a positive review.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                I liked the write up. Pretty entertaining, bonus it was a positive review.
                the writer's DD is a tow truck, one might say his standards are shockingly low.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  the writer's DD is a tow truck, one might say his standards are shockingly low.
                  That thought crossed my mind when he was talking about how "well" the car shifted.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                    On a related note, I've been wondering what a mid '90s Regal could have done if the 3800 was turned 90 degrees, drove the rear wheels, and had the blower replaced by a turbo. They're interesting as a styling exercise, but RWD would have been a lot better...

My 2001 Regal GS was a solid bracket car. 77,000-plus miles on the S/C 3.8, with no work, crap tires and my heavy ass driving was a consistent 15.0 car in bracket. I have seen one 11-sec GS, and a couple of 12-sec GS, GSS, and GTX (SLP modified) W-body Regals out there. And they even engineered a ram-air system using a quick-detach driver's headlight.

I've got nothing against the Opel Insignia. But SBG is right...you can't take what was supposed to be the hot Saturn Aura and go talk shit to an Audi or BMW guy.

RWD or AWD GN. Period.
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Do'h, I was thinking Riviera, not Regal.

Comment

Working...
                      X