The Top 11 Greatest Automotive Sauces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 11 Greatest Automotive Sauces

We use a lot of automotive chemicals every day, and we refer to ‘em all as sauce. Carb sauce, gear sauce, gasket sauce–whatever. By the time you’ve been through a few decades with this stuff, you know what works and what doesn’t, though the state of California has been mixing up the rules and castrating [...]

More...

That was a fun read and a good list, but wow... I see a startling omission: WD-40
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

They're PB Blaster snobs.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I use pb blaster for nothing. the contrast of stuck things local needs, at a minimal, high powered heat gun to take the wet dreams place.

a recent chemistry I found on you tube is stuff I got real mad at ... until I realized what it revealed.

AT-205 resealer. revealed a polymer error in the power steering, a nitrile rubber seal that was faking its job. Changed the culprit seal, and it did exactly as scotty kilmers garage advertised. even killed a chemical chain after revealing the error, back to healthy.

it is a new one on my list, I continue to use it.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thinking about this some more....

I'd just about bet that Brian hasn't used good ol' 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (aka Gorilla Snot) or it would have been on the list, too. Man, you just can't ask for anything better to hold a gasket in place while you are trying to put an oil pan on an engine while it is still in the car, or to secure those pesky water pump gaskets on a small block Chevy, or a rear end cover gasket on a Dana 60... etc etc etc.

I've also seen it used in conjunction with CRC Brakleen to repair flip flops that have become de-laminated.

It also works well to hold weatherstrip in place.

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
            I use pb blaster for nothing. the contrast of stuck things local needs, at a minimal, high powered heat gun to take the wet dreams place.

a recent chemistry I found on you tube is stuff I got real mad at ... until I realized what it revealed.

AT-205 resealer. revealed a polymer error in the power steering, a nitrile rubber seal that was faking its job. Changed the culprit seal, and it did exactly as scotty kilmers garage advertised. even killed a chemical chain after revealing the error, back to healthy.

it is a new one on my list, I continue to use it.

Can you post a link to this product? You have piqued my curiosity.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
              Thinking about this some more....

I'd just about bet that Brian hasn't used good ol' 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (aka Gorilla Snot) or it would have been on the list, too. Man, you just can't ask for anything better to hold a gasket in place while you are trying to put an oil pan on an engine while it is still in the car, or to secure those pesky water pump gaskets on a small block Chevy, or a rear end cover gasket on a Dana 60... etc etc etc.

I've also seen it used in conjunction with CRC Brakleen to repair flip flops that have become de-laminated.

It also works well to hold weatherstrip in place.

Ron

It's got a variety of non-automotive uses as well. It comes in such a big tube, and I sure don't have that much trim to glue on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                Can you post a link to this product? You have piqued my curiosity.

Ron
                amazon

I did not try parts store, ordered from net.

if there is something bad..you won't like it. I ended up liking it, as it found a nuclear element hidden in a bad seal. Sucker side of power steering, behind a bearing..real sneaky. I had a subaru with a poltergeist if you know what I mean. for years.

to add freak to the freak, everything in the vicinity of the power steering has blown to smitherenes in the past two years. no clue at all I was looking right at the freaking monster...The little grey dots stuck to it disappeared in the air when I took it apart for the seal check..I then went through random dizzy spells to the point of kneeling down, or even laying down. No clue the ps pump was the monster the whole time.
                I guess it needed to be challenged, the reseal did just that.

the car was on the west coast of alaska, prior to 1990, the nuke theory was not even a hoax (I was warned by someone else)

anyway, as far as reviving polymerizable stuff, my ps system is back to new, can stick my nose at the cap, smells like a brand new seal and ps fluid. no hazards.

..and nitrile seals need to go back to "NOK" in asia.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                X