Barnstormin': Why the Nurburgring Kinda Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnstormin': Why the Nurburgring Kinda Sucks

Brian: re ?Barnstormin': Why the Nurburgring Kinda Sucks? and your comment ?This isn?t a drag race versus road racing argument, it?s an argument of relevance.?

I think we are mostly all agreed in the first instance that Nurburgring (and equivalent) wring-outs aren?t really a valid indicator of anything important to the average motorist; rather, their appeal is limited to a very select group of enthusiasts and journalists. Ditto for quarter mile evaluations and all other pure performance tests that the vast majority of drivers could care less about, let alone exploit. However, providing easily quantifiable measures of relative performance allows folks with the time to do it to debate the technical merits of one model over another. And I think we should accept this as being positive.

Such tests inevitably lead to new automotive technologies and cars that feature superior engineering. This, in turn, results in greater reliability and economy, better performance, enhanced comfort and improved safety. Literally, and suspending any discussion of cost, we are today having our automotive cake and eating it too. Who could have imagined short years ago that a two-ton plus 2008 Dodge Challeger with all the convenience fixins' would blow the doors off its 1970s elephant-powered ancestor.

The auto industry, regardless of our opinions as to the pros and cons of such development, is evolving within a truly global context. It's scary for the workers and we have to be concerned for them. But the companies that will survive are the ones that can build the cars that will appeal to the most people ? in short, the cars that incorporate the traits identified above. Regardless of what types of cars these companies build, there will always be models that appeal to enthusiasts of different stripes, the Camaros, Mustangs, Road Runners, MGs, CV2s, 240Zs, and so on. Doubtless these cars will have their equivalents in the future.

In the final analysis, where most buyers want their cars to perform is on main street. Where most enthusiasts want their cars to perform is at the nearest track that caters to their preferred motor sport. Where car culture will go and how it will evolve is anyone?s guess, but I think there is much cause for optimism.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Brian (Lohnes): I will never call you "Mister" again . Also, I'm not trying to "flame" you, or anyone else. I'm a friendly guy who drinks too much coffee, and I'm definitely glad you wrote this piece.

I just wasn't aware of the extent to which automakers were marketing their products to consumers back in the day (workshops, clinics, etc.). I heard about them, but I didn't know they were responsible for generating as much automotive "buzz" as is being suggested. I'll have to take your word.

I agree that company-sponsored track days and clinics would be a great way to get attention and get people excited. I wish we saw more of that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven

Such tests inevitably lead to new automotive technologies and cars that feature superior engineering.
        ...and bickering on the internet! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ZeGerman
          Brian (Lohnes): I will never call you "Mister" again . Also, I'm not trying to "flame" you, or anyone else. I'm a friendly guy who drinks too much coffee, and I'm definitely glad you wrote this piece.
          No worries man! That's what this stuff is all about. If you write editorial stuff and aren't going to defend it, you're a wanker.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            ...and last I checked, Opel and Holden were part of GM. Hmmmm...

Yes, that was my point. ;D They offer and make great cars everywhere but here on their home turf.

"This just in-Pontiac G8 GXP laps the 'ring in 8:30. That's 2 seconds faster than a Porsche Boxster S that weighs 800 pounds less and costs $15,000 more. And what are all the eurosnob writers saying about it? That it's more fun to drive than the current BMW's. That Pontiac is the new BMW-only better. This is a big deal. Lap times at the 'ring are proof.

BTW-it also runs 13.0's at 108mph."

So true! Now if GM had come up with this about 10 years ago... We may not be duiscussing the demise of GM...

The G8 is a great car and a BMW fighter, BUT right now GM needs to sell some profitable small cars...
            The other side of the argument is who would buy a Pontiac if they can afford a BMW? The average person, not likely...

That is why the Nurburg ring is great marketing tool.

Comment

Because it's going to make guys who can afford BMWs buy Pontiacs?

Brian

Comment

Just the facts from Wiki etc with a link at the end.

[edit] 24 Hours of Nurburgring
                In October 1979, the B.F. Goodrich tire company sponsored two-car team of AMXs in the twenty-four hour Group One endurance race at Germany's legendary N?rburgring race track.[2] Not only were these American Motors AMXs the first American entries in this historic race, but they also finished #1 and #2 in their class out of a 120-car field in this grueling 14.1 mile (22.7 km), 176 turn road race.[3] They were the fastest cars on street rubber, BFG T/A radials.

Amos Johnson and partner Dennis Shaw were the team principals and drivers in the North Carolina based "Team Highball". The new 1979 304 in? V8 powered AMX was already homologated to meet Group One production car based rules. Two street-stock cars (both with AMC 5.0 L V8 and four-speed transmission) were obtained by "Team Highball" less than three weeks before a transport ship would sail to Europe. With almost no prior time on the race course, the team qualified the cars in 20th and 21st overall. The track tested both the cars and their new street tires, but both finished the race with one car in 25th and the second in 43rd overall. Another unique aspect of these historic racecars is that they were among the few ever to have had a period documentary film ("The Ultimate Challenge") done about the racecar preparation and race experience.

The first-place finishing car has been purchased and restored by automotive enthusiast Myron Cottrell [4]
                \

Nick

Comment

The good news is all that publicity worked out well for AMC because....oh wait.

Brian

Comment

We have to test there because they don't test here. It's the only way to prove how good our cars really are. We've taken the fight to them-and we're winning. It's a bold, and risky move-worthy of our respect. I've said before that the folks here are my people. All those engineers in Detroit are my people too-and I'm so proud of my people.

I know what you're saying about the days when ET's were the bragging rights and the sole topic of conversation, but that was back when that was all the cars would do well. I would give anything to have those days back-along with everything else that goes with those times. Unfortunately those are the good old days.

I've made my pitch, and that's all I've got. Guess I'm not much of a salesman.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      The good news is all that publicity worked out well for AMC because....oh wait.

Brian
                      LOL

Comment

Lets name all the other car companys that went belly up after spending millions.
                        Besides it was a Tire Company that spononsored the team. BF Goodrich.

Nick

Comment

I don't think it's any less relevant than 1/4 mile time.

I understand that "The Ring" means little to a lot you, but Damn guys were talking about a world renowned track.
                          I think it has to happen. Who would have thought the Vette would ever be competing against Ferrari's. In Europe they could care less about !/4 et's. The ring has always been a legit measuring stick.
                          The more that OUR " supecars " want to hang with the UK's best we have to have a number to compare.
                          Right now handling is AS important as grunt, were watching cars evolve into powerful handlers.
                          Don't be scared.
                          You know damn well any car put to the ring from the U.S. is also going to the strip.
                          Now we have two numbers to compare.
                          We all know the more variables added into the equation the better.

I love the Ring and look forward to crashing a rental in the first carousel.
                          CM

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            Because it's going to make guys who can afford BMWs buy Pontiacs?

Brian
                            Exactly what I DIDN'T say... :

Read it again... :-*

It is going to make GM competitive again... Being able to purchase a car that will out gun a BMW at a savings would make me want to look into buying one (which I am). It will not get a person who can afford a BMW 5 series to buy a Pontiac. Why? Brand. Pontiac is known for performance, but they are also known for the Aztec and T1000. Not to mention lack of a viable rwd platform for many years...

BTW the proper spelling is BRYAN. :D

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
                              BTW the proper spelling is BRYAN. :D
                              Now ya done went TOO DAMN FAR.......................LMFAO

You know what I really wanna see fly at the 'Ring?

I'll give a few clues....it's green, has a worn-out 283, and has a Air Ride system...........with a chihuahua glued to the rear package shelf.

Comment

Would have been so cool ;D.One of my goals,is to drive my Chevelle around the ring.Someday.

Comment

Working...
                                X