Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Freak of the Week: The Union Pacific "Big Boy" Locomotive

Re: Motorized Freak of the Week: The Union Pacific \

I've read and seen pics of this baby years ago in some book. I used to be into model-trains and such back then and was amazed at the size of the machine.

Awesome piece of work!

Check this out...
    The biggest, the strongest, the grandest American steam locomotive. Only 25 were built and now — for the first time — Pentrex shares ALL 25 of the Big Boys i...

8)
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I live about 3 miles from this place:

Dedicated to preserving the railroad history of the pacific southwest and San Diego

I have yet to go check it out, I should go and snap a bunch of pics. From what I hear, they have some cool old stuff there.

Comment

Makes you wonder how many cars of coal it alone needed to start/finish a run !

Comment

Something about steam trains. We have two here in Ely, not nearly as large though. Both unfortunately are currently down. One was taken off line as planned to clean out and rebuild the boiler's, then about two months after that one was taken off line the other ate two bronze wheel bearings and went off line. The rail road museum that does the train rides is a volunteer crew that's only revenue is donations, train ride tickets and gift shop, so repairs are slow. Hopefully one of them will be up and running early next year. I've been on the Steam train ride to the mine and back twice. They are currently running what I think is a 50's era diesel locomotive in the mean time.

Those heavy haulers were the last to go, finally finished off by the diesel electric. Awesome machines.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't know now, but when I lived in Omaha, there was one of these Big Boys sitting in UP's yard on the north side of town. You could easily see just driving down the freeway as they had it lit up at night. UP's main headquarters is in Omaha and they have a museum there as well.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I grew up less than 1/4 mile from a Union Pacific railroad line. I would've loved to have seen and heard one of those things go by!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                I've read and seen pics of this baby years ago in some book. I used to be into model-trains and such back then and was amazed at the size of the machine.

Awesome piece of work!

Check this out...
                The biggest, the strongest, the grandest American steam locomotive. Only 25 were built and now — for the first time — Pentrex shares ALL 25 of the Big Boys i...

8)
                Thanks for sharing..What a great trailer for a movie 8).Wish one for christmas ;)

Comment

If my fuzzy old memory is working correctly, there's one of these monsters at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI. Awesome machine. See one if you can.

Dan

Comment

Dan, your memory is 100% correct!!

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Waymarking.com is a way to mark unique locations on the planet and give them a voice. While GPS technology allows us to pinpoint any location on the planet, mark the location, and share it with others, Waymarking is the toolset for categorizing and adding unique information for that location.

The one at the Henry Ford is possibly even bigger - if you can imagine that....

Comment

I'M ON THAT BIGGER IS BETTER. AND THESE LOCOMOTIVES ARE TRULY IMPRESSIVE .....BUT FOR SPEED AND ELEGANCE CHECK THESE HIAWATHA'S OUT THAT RIPPED THRU WISCONSIN FROM CHICAGO ON THIER WAY TO ST. PAUL/MINNEAPOLIS AT SPEEDS WELL IN EXCESS OF 100MPH STARTING IN 1935. GRUNTING HUGE LOADS AROUND (HAHAHA-CHAD-HAHAHA)IS COOL BUT THE THOUGHT OF AIR BETWEEN THE WHEELS AND RAILS GOT TO BE TWILIGHT ZONE SH!T. CHECK IT OUT.

Comment

NO CAPLOCK please.

Comment

Coincidentally, the History Channel is now showing a show on the big steam engines.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting the article , loved it !
                              Chryco ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X