Motorized Freak of the Week: The Union Pacific "Big Boy" Locomotive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motorized Freak of the Week: The Union Pacific \

Brian, another great article. Thanks. I love steam engines and really would like to see one of these in person. I remember when I was very young, my Grandfather was a yard master with the Chicago Northwestern branch in Omaha. I loved going down the the yards and visiting with him. He would show us the trains up close and personal.

Comment

In the middle of the fairgrounds in Pomona, California, sits a Big Boy. When I went to the LA Roadster show on Father's day weekend, the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society (Southern California Chapter), had its entrance gate flung wide open. If you can, please take the time to visit. Pictures do not do it justice. They are open infrequently, so plan ahead.

Comment

Zed...good call!

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks for reminding us of these engineering marvels, David. I've seen the one in Cheyenne, Wy., one in Denver's Forney museum, and the one in the Henry Ford and every time they still amaze me at the size and power.

Comment

I am a locomotive engineer and I know that those steam locos took a deft touch to run properly. Not just powering the unit itself but the old air brakes took a bit of skill to stop smoothly. The new units we use are all computer managed and the tonnage they pull is pretty impressive, they are rated at 4300 HP and wheel slip is nearly non-existent.

Comment

Yes, the Big Boy is an incredible pieces of machinery! I've seen one several times. Living on the east coast and close to what was a major steam hub of the east in Scranton, PA is Steam Town. Steam Town is a national landmark that I highly recommend visiting if you're in PA. I've been there many times. Here's a link to a trip I took there about 2-3 years ago. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/11293330

I own some property in a sleepy little town in PA called Nicholson. It's claim to fame is the Nicholson viaduct. Any steam buff worth their salt should know about it.

Pictures don't do it justice. It's absolutely mind boggling. I've walked underneath it. Here's a couple of links with some info. Also a must see is the Lackawana coal mine tour. This was a working coal mine and could still be one if needed.

Hope you've enjoyed the pictures.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Pictures dont do justice,but hopefully this pic will let a glimpse of it.What an enourmous bridge..Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by ZEDZED
                  In the middle of the fairgrounds in Pomona, California, sits a Big Boy. When I went to the LA Roadster show on Father's day weekend, the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society (Southern California Chapter), had its entrance gate flung wide open. If you can, please take the time to visit. Pictures do not do it justice. They are open infrequently, so plan ahead.
                  They also have the biggest ridged frame steam locomotive there as well. A 9000 class 4-12-2. It's also a 3 cylinder!

Comment

What is truly sad is the infrastructure and skills to build anything close to this has died and gone offshore.

While I was at sema it was depressing to see just how much of the US economy is off shore - just go to the AAPEX lower level. Make a fast buck ... never mind that the guy across the street is out of work permanently - job just moved to China.

Comment

Working...
                    X