• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freiburger's Pic of the Week: The King in Action

Re: Freiburger's Pic of the Week: The King in Action

:o That must've benn a handful

Comment

It was a handful! That shot was at the end of me losing control through the slalom course they had set up. The Biz had a few issues that made it snap oversteer quite easily. First, it had a very stiff rear setup and was too low in the rear. It would hit a curb and compress onto the bumpstops, which sends the spring rate to infinite and causes the rear suspension to lock up. It also had really slow steering, so it was hard to stay ahead of the car or catch it. It also had a huge amount of rear weight behind the axle. It car weighed 4000 pounds and was 50/50 F/R!

Comment

Remember that project and pic.Would be awesome to have it on the road again ;)

Comment

I remember reading about that one. One of the coolest parts of this site is something exactly like this, you post something about some one else, and BAM next thing you know that some one pops in here with some more of the story. It's happened a lot over the last year. I find that great.

I wonder what the front/back ratio is for my Centurion, probably a little nose heavy.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nice action shot.... gives you the impression that car is one pebble away from putting the tires on top.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I had figured those wheels on Chad's wagon were the same set as on King's car.

I loved the way they looked on the Biscayne and after seeing them once, I called up Edelbrock. Camee herself came on the phone to answer my questions and referred me along to the actual mfr., as it was only a license-deal. The wheel shop (Real Wheels, I think) said those 17s (which were not listed by Edelbrock as an available size) had been run in a small quantity and they expected to run more "in a few weeks" and to call back...of course in a few weeks I didn't have the bucks at the time so I put it off...I never did get any. You can buy similar, but what I really liked was the one-piece-cast look such as was always done and not the cast- or machined-center welded into a formed sheet rim...They dropped the whole thing so what I wound up doing for my own car was buying a set of cast 16x8 straight-spoke "Torque-Thrust"-style wheels from Vintage Wheel and then going to the trouble to weld-up a pair of them into 16x9s. Anyhow, King's old wheels look even better on the wagon now.

BTW the body-and-paint-guy in me made it hard to look at above-vehicle without reaching for some 80-grit discs.

Comment

I'm impressed that Matt is steering his helmet into the skid...too bad the car didn't follow!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The Ebrock wheels were a short-term deal. I can't recall who made them, but it wasn't Real Wheels. I want to say it was Ultra.

Comment

I followed the buildup of this car from the beginning mainly because his upgrades to suspension and brakes were directly related to my 65 Impala. I liked how it had the low buck ways of upgrading. I was a bit let down at the high dollar 9 inch.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Todd Ryden and Scott need to get in a bidding war on the car...

Comment

I have a nice Caprice sitting in my driveway with expired plates.............. ;)
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a friend looking for a car like that.3000$ buy it?????

Comment

uh, no

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                              I have a nice Caprice sitting in my driveway with expired plates.............. ;)
                              And I bet you'd like to sell it to me wouldn't you? ;) ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X