Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Site of the Week: Abandonded Airfields

Re: Web Site of the Week: Abandonded Airfields

Another great way to zap your daily productivity! I had actually stumbled across this website a year or so ago. It explained why the the Airport Road near my subdivision isn't anywhere near a current airport. Eventually I made sure that I "lost" the link so that I could get some stuff done.
    Thanks for un-losing it Dave :

Comment

Neat stuff.Theres a bomber training strip north of Pratt Kansas where I grew up.Once a month we'd have flashlight drags.SRCA at Great Bend Kansas(home of the 1st US Nationals) Is an old airstrip.

Comment

Very interesting site, I grew up in Roswell N.M., and only knew of ,2 of those listed, I spent many days at the old muni. airport as it was our drag strip most of the 30 + years I lived there.

Comment

For old drag strips...not nearly as comprehensive, but it's a start

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Check out South Omaha Airport. I lived right near there. It used to have a pair of B-25 Mitchells sitting and rotting away for years there. They built B-25's at Offutt AFB during WWII not 5 miles away. One day I was following a flat bed with a pair big radial engines. A few months later I saw one of those B-25's flying around the airport before flying away permanently. My cousin Eric was learning to fly there when he was 16. He took his first solo there. He also crashed his first plane there as well. He tried taking off when the grass run way was soaked from rains and couldn't get enough speed before running out of runway and smashing through the fence and ending up on Cornhusker Hwy.

Here's the link
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Dang! talk about a time killer. Awesome link. I found the airport where I solo'd back in the late 1980s. i miss those days. I mowed the runway from the time I was 10 years old, in trade for flying lessons. Can't hook up a deal like that anymore...
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

This is a very interesting site. I ran across it a while back while I was trying to research a the crash of an Army Air Corp troupe transport plane just south of where I now live. It crashed in 1943. I also used this site which some of you may find interesting. Warning---It can be another time killer.

Comment

Yep--you blew my cover on that one for a future site of the week.

Comment

One of those abandoned runways has served as one of Philly Region's main autocross venues for several years now. A number of members were pretty pleased to see find this website (apparently in a slightly earlier version)

Comment

Here's what the one in Hereford AZ looks like now....it was a short lived WWII bomber practice field. It's not very far from me, less than 10 miles.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Looks like the lunar surface with roads!

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That's what winter looks like around here.

In August it's all green....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                          X