• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: The Unfair Advantage

Re: Book Review: The Unfair Advantage

On amazon.com at $16.47.
    I?m going to have to wait until after Christmas,
    I want the Mickey Thompson book as well.

Comment

Simply the best book ever written about roadracing. Great author, great subject.

Comment

I gotta get this book and read it over my Christmas break! Thanks for the reminder.
        When I roadraced motorcycles I quickly realized that my talent was limited and that if I wanted to be competitive I had better figure out how to build a very nice machine.

At that same time, a couple good friends were shooting for a national championship at Daytona; they used the 'unfair advantage' of intelligence, work ethic, and humility. It worked for them too as they won every race entered at the CCS Daytona race of Champions (Two years in a row!!) Needles to say I learned several life lessons just watching how they accomplished that, it wasn't easy or cheap.
        Talent and the best engineered equipment is a deadly combination. 8)

Plus it says 'Mark Donohue' right on the back of my car!! ;D

Comment

I absolutely love this book. I was fortunate enough to have met Milt Minter's son through ventures such as this one and he has accounted for all of the things written about his father in this book. Remembering Donahue's dedication in the early years is a nice boot in the ass once in a while too.
          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

SS, it's amazing how well Penske and Donohue worked together. I think the genius of Penske was not to meddle in the stuff he didn't need to and it went the same way with Donohue. They both concentrated on their strengths.

They both had TRUST in each other, an insane concept these days.

The other thing that's great is to see how Donohue's temperment matched up with the guys he was racing against, like Parnelli Jones and AJ Foyt, two guys not exacrtly known as wall flowers.

The book is truly enthralling.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I re-read it about every other year. Which reminds me, I need to get my copy back from the guy I loaned it to. I'm shaking out the racecar and like to read how they use to do it. Still very applicable today. It's just damn hard to find a skid pad.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                On amazon.com at $16.47.
                I?m going to have to wait until after Christmas,
                I want the Mickey Thompson book as well.
                Same here......my library just keeps getting bigger, no thanks to Lohnes(my wife wants to strangle you BTW)...LOL

I've always heard about this book, but have never gotten ahold of a copy...

Comment

One of my best friend's older brother has a copy signed by The Captain, Roger P.
                  Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
                  X