Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearhead Destination: The Garlits Museum

Re: Gearhead Destination: The Garlits Museum

last year when my daughter got marred her and hubby drove by it on the way to meet us at a family reunion.AND did not stop?they ask me what it was then I knew I had failed as a father
    But they did get in trouble in the 1 st grade for counting 1 2 Earnhart 4 5.
    terry

Comment

We were there about 11 yrs ago.... Mrs. Garlits gave the girls coloring books .

Comment

If you are driving to Orlando, this is a must see!

Give yourself at least a couple of hours.

Comment

I have been to Florida 3 times in my life and have stopped at the Garlits Museum all three times. The years were 1986, 1992 and 2000. This museum is definitely worth the stop. It is real easy to get to right off the interstate. Each time there was sometime new and different to see. The engine room is real cool. It has blown versions of all the major engines used in drag racing over the decades. My favorite, being a Ford man, was the SOHC 427. The display cases with destroyed engine parts were interesting as well. The additional antique car museum is a good stop also it is on the same grounds and is a separate admition. I stared at the Boss 429 engine on display, still in the shipping crate, for 10 minutes. Each visit I spent at least 2 hours and probably more. If you are anywhere close, stop, you won't be dissapointed.

Comment

Garlits is one of us,here's prof...

Back in 1993 my good friend Scott and I were on our way home from the Daytona 200 weekend (when it was good).
            I made Scott stop at the Garlits Museum,he's a motorcycle Road Racer not into cars at all. Butt had driven by Garlits place many times.

Anyway we stopped,note the driveway is 1/4 mile from the turn off,hum?, as we pull in past the Garlits home there is a big grass field on the right ,parked in the field is an enclosed car hauler un loading.What can that be?So we walk over,just as we get to the truck we see a Model A or '32,'33 something coming toward us ,behind the wheel is Big Himself! Holly Smit I say to myself it's Don Garlits! Scott doesn't know him from jack...

I stick out my hand and introduce myself,Scott does the same he asked and we tell him what brings us by,he is very welcoming,but clearly excited. He's getting a NEW car!

We all look in the truck and find the driver just as he lights up Andy Grannittelli's Dual Paxton Supercharged Dodge It's very Red but I forget the model. Driver unloads it and the private tuer begins!

Don (he's Don Now) starts checking out his toy all the while telling me what it is and has done,I note the old '60's safety features. The Scatter Shield is just that a shield formed over the top and under the trans tunnel,drive shaft loops front and rear clearly made by hand,the tiny roll bar that is just that.He continues pointing out things on the car and being I had read the NHRA rule book I understood what he was talking about and could comment on why things are like they are as far as the rules go,it was just two car guys talking cars!

Then we get to the gauges,"look" he says,taking my hand and placing my fingers on the oil pressure gauge" see how the glass is beveled, Stewert Warner only made those for about a year." he was clearly thrilled.

We spent about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes out in the field,the driver loads up the old iron,Don Garlits Parents First car!
            Then as Don,He's still Don,jumps in the Very Hot Rod Dodge he tells us to jump in ! it's just a drive across the lawn but he dropped us off at the museum side door inside the gate next to the race shop! As we get out he reminds us to stop at the counter and buy a ticket!LOL.

Scott couldn't believe how cool he was(is) and said wow he's just like us!

Now here's the kicker Scott video taped the whole thing! I never noticed he even had his camera out!
            Scott has the tape but 3 moves have got it buried someplace in his shop,he's on the case but if he don't find that tape I'll have to clean his garage!

Comment

Good story, thanks a lot. Thanks for signing up with us, too.

Comment

Being from so cal I don't get back east to vacation (when we were racing we never had time for anything else) very often. But I did get to spend some time there a couple years ago when I went to the PRI show.

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

21 Feb @ Garlits Museum Part 1

Stopped by last Tuesday enroute to Orlando to visit, my first time. At a time when the Garlits family is dealing with the tribulations of failing health, it was a real eye-opener to see just how great his influence was on the technology of drag racing in particular and the sport in general.

Took some pics, attached below:
                  Attached Files
                  Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

21 Feb @ Garlits Museum Part 2

Earlier in this thread Cyclone03 mentioned that in 1993 he got to see the Granatelli Bros Paxton-supercharged BB Mopar being unloaded just after it was acquired by Don for the museum. I think the first pic below is an underhood shot of that same beast. Also pics of a supercharged flathead and a Bill Mullins Olds:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mlcraven; February 25, 2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

21 Feb @ Garlits Museum Part 3

Some cool old dragsters, famous and infamous:
                      Attached Files

Comment

21 Feb @ Garlits Museum Part 4

Museum has a wonderful variety of machines that capture the sport throughout the rapidly-evolving days of the 50s-60s-70s. These are just two of several streamliner-types:
                        Attached Files

Comment

21 Feb @ Garlits Museum Part 5

Not all Chrysler power, something for the Ford cammer guys -- the latest edition of Car Craft had a much better pic of these in the "This Guys Garage" spread.
                          Attached Files

Comment

21 Feb @ Garlits Museum Part 6 (Final of 6)

And of course, it wouldn't be complete without some old Fords and Willys.

Thoughts are with Don and his family at this difficult time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                              Earlier in this thread Cyclone03 mentioned that in 1993 he got to see the Granatelli Bros Paxton-supercharged BB Mopar being unloaded just after it was acquired by Don for the museum. I think the first pic below is an underhood shot of that same beast. Also pics of a supercharged flathead and a Bill Mullins Olds:
                              Yes thats it. Lots of little cool things about that car.

Comment

Working...
                              X